Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: saxby & palmer

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I think they started out as Taurus...
    The Saxby-Palmer and Brocock revolvers were actually made by Weihrauch under the Arminus trademark. The smaller ones were conversions of .38 Specials and the Orion was a .22 rimfire target pistol. The .38s would have needed a complete new barrel assembly as well as a new cylinder to 'convert' them back to original, which would have not been economic, while the .22 version of the Orion could possibly have been 'coverted' with a new cylinder, but again it would not have been economic. Small .38 revolvers and .22 target revolvers were available for reasonable cost when they were still Section 1.

Perhaps some people sleeved the cylinders so that they could fire .22 rimfire rounds, or possibly drilled out the barrels and made new cylinders to give a smoothbore .38 Special. I don't know. It wouldn't be worthwhile converting them while legal pistols were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphoon View Post
    Nope. I will not apologise for my remark about converting S-P/Brococks. Even if it was technically legal at the time, such actions (and the marketing in shooting magazines of kits to convert them) drew the wrong kind of attention to the TACs and attracted sensationalist stories in the press about concerted guns. Your gunsmith friend should have thought twice before converting them even if it was legal. I cannot see why he would do that anyway when it would have been cheaper to have just bought an Arminus revolver in the first place. I know what would have been involved in converting them. I worked in a gunsmiths at the time on both revolvers and on S-Ps but would never have dreamed of converting them. Some people might feel differently.
    I see where you are coming from on this but you really can't blame people for doing something that was perfectly legal at the time as those people were doing nothing wrong, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But if one day spring and pneumatic airguns get banned do you think it would be right to point the finger at companies like Vemon Arms or John Bowkett who back in the 80's tuned guns like the HW80 and others into FAC rated guns and say "if they hadn't showen people what the guns were capable of this would never have happened so its all their fault"

Is it their fault for doing things right and acting legally or people like a guy I spoke to the other day who removed the anti tamper device on his AA to get the most power he could from his gun?

As you said its the idiots who are to blame for the past and future problems we face but not those acting within the law.

Johnj.
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

Thanks Hsing-ee, filled in the gap in my knowledge; well showed my lack of. Looks like Scotland will be the next politically driven gun legislation abuse and airgun and stalking competance is the target.

Think I'll set up my pigeon hide in the middle of a crop circle; just hope there are no tourists about.