Thread: Loading query...

Loading query...

Got a .36 Le Page which I enjoy shooting very much. When clean and cold, it is relatively easy to load - the patched ball slides down smoothly and without undue force being required on the ramrod. By the time I'm on the second string of 13 shots, rather more force is required to the extent of needing to hammer the ramrod down with the heel of my hand.

Does this sound normal? Is this caused by fouling? Does the bore size shrink slightly as the barrel heats up?

Spec: .36 bore , .354 ball, 10 thou oiled patch, 11.5 gn swiss#1, rem#10 caps

- I've tried .350 ball with no discernable difference.

regards
    Nigel

Sounds like fouling to me try running a bristle brush down it

Fouling

I use a nylon bristle brush & give the gun a quick run through between loads

What do you oil your patches with?
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Fair enough, I'll give it a quick brush out after a few shots and see how that goes.

Patch oil? Sorry I'm far to lazy to make my own, I buy pre-lubed patches!

Agree with the guys above, its fouling, just give the barrel a brush every few shots.

Believe it or not, a mate of mine who shoots a lot of patched ball in rifle and pistol, uses Fairy washing up liquid as a lube for his patches!! He swears by it and has been shooting them like this for over 30 years!

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Makes sense!

Makes sense when you think about it: it would add both lubricating and cleaning to each loading.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Found the following posts on a US forum with regard to using detergent........

Has anyone tried using dish detergent for patch lube. I have been told it works very well and allows multiple shots without cleaning the barrel.
    I'll do that whenever GE recommends Bore Butter for washing my dishes.

Just a little fun, but truthfully, I doubt the claims.
    I must admit I've never heard that before.

I don't think it would work well as a lube, but for cleaning just add to some hot soapy water and go for it.

Ahhh the myth is reborn! I had heard this several years ago. I never tried it, being fond of my "seasoned" barrels, but my brother being the technology hound that he is, did try it and found it to be not true. It was no help in cleaning and shot less accurately than conventional lubes. He also found that the bore would haze or begin to rust quickly if it wasn't cleaned and re lubed the same day. On the other side of the coin, a friend used Ivory dish soap and had good results with it. Last time I spoke to him (couple years ago)he was still using it, and there were no ill affects.

Lubes

Have several medals from 40 years of Pure Neatsfoot Oil (Never Neatsfoot substitute) This is a superb lubricant and bore cleaner combined. Easily clean both revolvers and rifles. Not allways easy to obtain, but worth the search. It is a bit seasonal in melt consistancy but no differance in shooting effect. Give it a go and end your fouling problems.
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

I have the .44 Lepage and soak my patchs in melted wonder lube. Never have any problems with fouling or cleaning, its easy to use and smells good too. Simply pop a spoon full in a pot into the microwave for a few seconds to melt it and dunk your patchs in it. Lift em out and squeeze the excess out. Let em dry and away you go. Also use it in the .577 the 45/70 and my b/p revolvers. Wonderfull stuff.

OK, so ran a nylon bristle brush up the bore with a small squirt of wd-40 between every alternate shot and that seemed to help. Certainly helped the score - 91 which is a PB Don't know if there's a connection but I'm definitely adopting this as standard procedure now

thanks for the advice everyone

I found Hoppes black Powder patch lube and solvent works the best for me.

As a patch lube it cleans as you are loading, greatly reducing fouling and does not build up as bore butter does. It is the best I have found.