Thread: webley vulcan

webley vulcan

hi all ive just picked up a vulcan serial number 771343 made in birmingham in box and owners manual its dam near mint condition it has a 19 inch barrel is it a mark 1 or2 and how much would it be worth the bloke said it was about 26 years old cheers guys for any help

Vulcan

The Mk1 has a quite plain stock whereas the Mk2 has a pistol grip cap. The Mk1 has a shorter barrel than 19inches (got a figure in my head of 17 inches- but not 100% sure). I think the Mk2 barrel is quite thick and reduced down under the foresight so as to make use of the same foresight as the Mk1s. My guess is you've got a Mk2.

They were good rifles for the day- pity the trigger wasnt better. I will never part with my Mk1 Vulcan.

Dave

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post

hi all ive just picked up a vulcan serial number 771343 made in birmingham in box and owners manual its dam near mint condition it has a 19 inch barrel is it a mark 1 or2 and how much would it be worth the bloke said it was about 26 years old. cheers guys for any help
    Regarding value, it all depends on what model Vulcan it is really (and condition), as there was a MkI, MkII, and MkIII Vulcan, plus a few later rifles which were basically up-dated Vulcans with fancy names. There were also several versions of each of these to boot just to complicate things further. Here is some info which may help.

Many minor mechanical differences separate the various Vulcan variants, but these were basically variations on the same theme. The more noticeable cosmetic differences however are as follows ...

Vulcan MkI: thinner barrel and slimmer stock than later models (an example can bee seen in my signature slide show).

Vulcan MkII: fatter lacquered stock with pistol grip cup and white spacers. Thicker 16mm barrel and different front sights.

Vulcan MkIII: early MkIIIs sported same style stocks as described for the MkII, but later ones had plain pistol grip ends and no white spacers. These had the same style sights and barrel as the MkII, although later carbine versions had threaded muzzle-breaks fitted which incorporated the front sight.

Xocet: a no thrills variant of the Vulcan (no safety and very plain stocks) with re-jigged breech so no gap apparent from above when rear sight removed.

Stingray: mechanically the same as the Vulcan but with finger grip flutes running length of stock, re-jigged breech so no gap apparent from above when rear sight removed, and a threaded muzzle break as standard incorporating front sight.

The first Vulcans hit the market in 1979. All Vulcans were available in .177 and in .22. With the exception of the Xocet, all of the above have also been available as Walnut Deluxe Specials, and all except the MkI have been available as carbines . At one stage I had eight examples of Vulcan in my collection, but now only have two: a walnut .177 MkI and what imo, is the ultimate of the Vulcan variants: an Omega carbine in .177 (also in signature slide show below).

Webley & Scott air rifles using the model names of Xocet and Stingray were also made and marketed after the original British Brum based manufacturing company of Webley & Scott closed in 2006. They were sold by the outfit that bought the Webley and Scott name. These later examples were made in Turkey and/or Eastern Europe and imo leave a lot to be desired .

Anything with a walnut stock will be worth more than a beech stocked standard Vulcan, a .177 would be worth more than a .22 as are rarer, and having the original open sights makes a big difference too. In short then, without photos, the value of your .22 Vulcan could be anywhere from £225 plus post for a walnut stock MkII deluxe example in tip top condition, all the way down to no more than say £75 posted for a very average condition (few battle scars) beech MkI. As stated, photos would help with a more accurate price, but in the mean time I hope this helps . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

webley

cheers guys that was a great help dam thought i had mark 1 am sure its mark 2 now il post some pics later so you guys can have a look to make sure