Thread: Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Bore + Primers

Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Bore + Primers

Can I just use standard large rifle primers in a .45-120 sharps cartridge?

I just bought a used Pedersoli .45-120 Quigley, exterior is as factory but there are some dull patches in the bore - within 8 inches of the chamber, is this a big problem with regard to accuracy?

Regards
    wildrover77

Quote Originally Posted by wildrover77 View Post
    Can I just use standard large rifle primers in a .45-120 sharps cartridge?

I just bought a used Pedersoli .45-120 Quigley, exterior is as factory but there are some dull patches in the bore - within 8 inches of the chamber, is this a big problem with regard to accuracy?

Regards
    wildrover77
    like anything mate i would just shoot it and see how it goes....could be a barrel bulge but you need a borescope to see how bad it is......was this a private buy

It looks like minor pitting, I reckon poor cleaning in the past.

It is not a barrel buldge.

Regards
    wildrover77

hi,i used to have a pedersoli 45-70 but sold it and bought a pedersoli 45-90.i am in a club called the yorkshire buffalo hunters of which all of us shoot 45-70,45-90,45-1OO and 45-120 and after many years of era and trial we have found that large pistol primers are best but just recently we are getting good results with magnum primers.if you are new to the black powder cartridge guns then there is a very good book called buffalo guns of the west by mike venturino,dont quote me on the title but it is very similar,im sure you'll find it if you google it.as for the barrel i'd just shoot it and see what the results are.hope this helps.

greenshoots Guest
    give it a good scrubbing and use large rifle primers and trailboss.

viv

Or you could use 777 or Pyrodex or a light charge of Bullseye.

Or you could use what most black powder clubs and competitions insist on.
    A substance called, strangely enough, 'Black Powder'

I have found no difference in accuracy between standard and magnum large rifle primers. But there is a little less flame at the muzzle with magnum primers.
    Pitting does not always affect accuracy, but if the pitting is deep or rough, you will almost certainly experience more leading than normal and more difficulty in cleaning.
    Last edited by Hares Ear; 18-07-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    Robin

Wildrover,

When I was shooting BPCR seriously I found that Fed LR Magnums worked best, they are reputed to have been developed for used in Weatherby magnums with large loads of smokeless. I achieved single figure ES's in a 45-90.

Also if you are going to use actual black powder (best accuracy) you can drill out the flash hole in the cartridge - but make sure you mark these cases in some way as you cannot use anything other than BP in them (this includes BP substitutes).

Slighlty compressed loads, using a drop tube and cleaning the inside of your cases will also help in consistancy and powder 'burn' (explosion!).

An excellent book to get hold of is the 'SPG Lubricants BP Cartridge Reloading Primer' by Mike Venturino & Steve Garbe.

Brgds Terry

Thibben.
    Thanks for the heads up on the book, I'll have a look for that.
    Robin