Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Better than contemporary offerings?

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Ive already been banned from one forum this week so let me be very contentious and go for the double.

WEIHRAUCH 95 - Poor mans 'Sport. Good trigger.

Banning's too good for you, young Cloggy.

If Ollie wasn't down a big hole in Albainistan.......he'd "big up" the Relums..

Soooo..on Ollie's behalf. The Relum Tornado

From my point of view...HW55T

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Nice knowing you Ian.
    I wish I could say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bolted View Post
    Air Arms Pro Sport. Just such a quality springer if you get a good one.
    To 'modern' for this debate but I will comment anyway. Over rated. Heavy, design faults (retaing bolt can come loose) and a square cocking lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocity View Post
    I thought the mention of the BSF s54 Bayern would tempt you to join the debate, and WOW you did.
    You and Christine know which buttons to press.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    IJs right
    Of course if he wants me to take the over complicated dodgy model 45 that used to be in his signature in .20 off his hands for a meagre sum, ....
    What are you drinking? The .20 is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post

Banning's too good for you, young Cloggy.
    Whip me - beat me with a pound of seamless tripe and a flat cap.

One thing I did forget in my personal assessment is that every one of the classics mentioned has more character in just their trigger guards than most modern pcps.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Whip me - beat me with a pound of seamless tripe and a flat cap.
    I thought of something better than that.

Look up.

Look up.
    You mean ..... your going to redecorate my ceiling ?

ATB
    Ian

Why shouldn't it count, no matter how much internal work, it is limited by the rifles inherent design after all.
    I shot a chaps mercury at the weekend, his lad was having problems with the eye relief amoung other things.
    A set of sportsmatch set back/forward mounts, both set back should help get the relief a bit more sensible for the stock design. I'm guessing that's your thought too
    i dont really mind the eye relief that might be my fat head ??? its just something that grips the groove properly the set back one piece op12c i think its called is specifically for old bsa"s but only comes with 25mm clamps were as my tube is a 30mm so need to find something in between just out of interest did you fit the mounts if so how did you find them i have tried several 2 piece mounts and within a month they are all chewed up were i keep trying to over tighten them to stop them shifting
    S400 Carbine

if the sportsmatch one peice dont do it i will either add a maxi rail on top or have the existing grooves made deeper. for a free gun the bill on this one is slowly growing but now i have the performance sorted i am not going to let a ####ty scope rail pee on my parade thanks for your help and any other tips are very much appreciated
    S400 Carbine

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    RE: Prosport

To 'modern' for this debate but I will comment anyway. Over rated. Heavy, design faults (retaing bolt can come loose) and a square cocking lever.

ATB
    Ian
    I agree with your analysis of ye olde Airgunnes. But what is this Prosport has design faults'? Please explain. Mine seems as perfeckt as an air-rifle can be, except it is a tad too heavy and doesn't have open sights.

The characterful air-rifles are

The HW35 Deluxe

The BSA Mercury-S

The BSA Airsporter Mk 2

The Falke 80

The BSF B55 Deluxe

The Feinwerkbau Sport

I never found that the Webleys had the right kind of character, likewise the Anschutz. I'm still very fond of the Hammerli but it was never a full-power rifle and vacillated between target and field rifle until it was swept away - but it is a quirky, superbly accurate shooter none the less.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    I've never had a mercury, this was a club members-
    I do have a friend who shoots older BSA's, I will contact him and ask him to post on here maybe for you, if he has anything helpful to contribute.
    I know they are a bit tricky, but if it's a smooth rifle, there will be a solution-
    Hi SA, yes, Sportsmatch did (and still do) make mounts for the Airsporter, Mercury etc range. I was lucky to pick up a set and they do cure the eye relief problem. I seem to recall that this has been mentioned before on here and our friend mr silent sniper might be advised to do a search on here.

If you draw a blank then please get in touch and I'll see if i can find more details. I have a sneaky feeling that Mike Tawn might be the guy to ask about stock.
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

I thought of something better than that.

Look up.
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!

I'd hate to be associated with that Hungarian fence post and its Botswanan privot wood stock. The best thing you can do to a Tornado is cut 4" of the end of the barrel - that way it fits in the dustbin better.
    My mate and club member, MrGrumpy said "The Tornado was a good gun in its day." That day was the 23 June 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    But what is this Prosport has design faults'?
    The cocking arm retaining bolt has been known to come undone. The cocking lever pivots can wear.

ATB
    Ostracized Ian.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Pass the Relum

I cant do links but I did a post on 1/7/2009 "pass the Relum"----I think the above may be a candidate should the idea ever be taken up.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

The Tornado

Is a very poor air-rifle. Not because it was lacking in materials or expertise. But because it is a schyte design. The IJ-38, made by starving Russian peasants produces as much power, three times as much accuracy and uses up half the wood and metal. How does it do this clever trick? By copying a good decent German design, that's how. The Relum Tornado is an object lesson in HOW NOT to design an air-rifle. Like the stinking pellet-tap, what kind of a Mo-Ron would design a tap that closes on the up-stroke, thus defying gravity?

It was clearly designed to bring down the Communist Blok, something Haenal, Slavia and Baikal never tried to do. It's the economic equivalent to a improvised explosive device. In short, it's RUBBISH. Any knackered BSA or Haenal can run rings around it.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 23-07-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Is a very poor air-rifle. Not because it was lacking in materials or expertise. But because it is a ####e design. The IJ-38, made by starving Russian peasants produces as much power, three times as much accuracy and uses up half the wood and metal. How does it do this clever trick? By copying a good decent German design, that's how. The Relum Tornado is an object lesson in HOW NOT to design an air-rifle. Like the stinking pellet-tap, what kind of a Mo-Ron would design a tap that closes on the up-stroke, thus defying gravity?

It was clearlyh designed to bring down the Communist Blok, something Haenal, that Cech firm and Baikal never tried to do. It's the economic equivalent to a improvised explosive device.
    Thats what I meant.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Relum Tap

I actually like the Relum loading tap as its easily operated with my thumb. I dont like the cocking linkage or the rear stock nut which I consider a weak point.

In defence of Ollie....who cannot defend himself at the moment cause his internet "Cafe" has been offline....for a fortnight....

Relum stocks burn really well...iv'e burnt a few recently on the barbie between the showers...& they arn't at all bad.Regarding the actions.....well...fence posts IS probably their best use..except that elusive "baby" Tornado...(very rare)...I use those to poke the fire with...