Thread: History of the hw95

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

History of the hw95

When did this model arrive in the UK? What was the response at the time? It must have been competing against it's stablemates, the 77 and 80.

Are the earlier ones collectable or has the model stayed pretty much the same thoughout? I know alot of the British ones are 95Ks, was the original import a normal length with open sights?

Morning Hsing,
    cant answer your questions at all mate as this rifle was introduced when I was on "hols" away from the airgun scene, but at a guess wasnt it born from the HW85?
    Would I be right in saying that the '95 is basically a 'scope only HW85?
    Cant recall the date that one was introduced either now without referring back to my old copies of AGW etc, but the '85 was certainly brought out to address some of the weight issues levelled at the mighty '80.
    Sorry I cant be of more help- but this thread is quite topical for me as I'm making a start on rebuilding an '85 this week that I've had in bits for the last 18 months or so.
    I would also guess that the '95 has stolen some of the sales from the '80 nowadays as it seems to be quite highly regarded by many here.
    Or is it that we have a new breed of whimps coming through the ranks that havent the strength to shoulder an '80

Dave

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    One American site says that the 95 (R9) has a thin-walled cylinder, hence the lack of a screw-in back-block. It said that overtightening scope clamps on this model can distort the compression tube! The 85 did look like a really nice rifle, but maybe it was too expensive for its place in the market.

AGW did a review of the new HW95 in July 1995.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Having stripped (many times ) and tuned the 95's,unless the first ones
    were different,i found the rear block set up to be very good.
    Not exactly pins as in the meteor types,
    it has an offset twist to hold the end in,and locking blocks too,
    and when the trigger is fitted,there's no way the end block can fail.
    A very easy gun to service.

From memory the first ones had no chequering on the pistol grip. (Or anywhere else).

rgds Mike