Thread: Webley Mk3 info

Webley Mk3 info

Hello all,
    I have acquired aWebley Mk3 recently and not knowing much about them I am hoping that somebody will be able to tell me a bit more.
    Photographs of the rifle are on http://www.flickr.com/photos/40629679@N08/3753860757/ , which I hope will work.
    Serial number on rifle and underlever is 25250. Going from Hiller, it would appear to be a series 3 from 1957-61, but with an earlier stock? I think it may be a marriage as there were no front stock screws. The finish on the metal work is a sort of silver, not blued. Apart from the front stock screws it seems all there. The stock has a number stamped inside near the trigger cut out, which seems to be 25, there may be more numbers but difficult to tell. Is it possible that this stock started out with this rifle? and what about the silver finish?
    Any info on this rifle, stock, finish, anything, would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks,
    dogsbody

That looks like its been sand blasted also the trigger guard seems odd!
    I think you may be right that its a bitsa.

Webley Mark 3

The second series with fluted stock had an "estimated" SN run up to 24500 so your gun might well be one of the last of the second series at 25250. I read that the third series had machined grooves on the foresight to take a hood and your foresight does not look to have these grooves.

Mike95

Thanks lads,
    I think its been plated, there are odd rust spots which have come through. Most of the dark marks on the cylinder and barrel are grease. The trigger guard does look a bit odd, more like the earlier series (matches the date of the stock?) than the later. The foresight is grooved for a hood.
    Can anybody recommend any books etc, I have Hiller 4th edition,
    thanks again,
    dogsbody

Would they plate the sights as well?
    Yr sure its not a primer? The tap area and rear sight looks kinda odd..
    Didnt know they made plated one's..
    The trigger and guard look like 2nd series..
    Might me a marriage yeah, its quite common..
    ATB,
    yana