Thread: BSA serial number prefix "T"

BSA serial number prefix "T"

Hi, could someone tell me what the prefix "T" means on a prewar BSA underlever Please...
    Thanks..Dave...

BSA standard 'T' prefix'

Hi there,
    BSA commonly use(d) a single or double letter prefix to their serial numbers on all the firearms they produced and it is a code denoting the model.

Your T prefix tells us that you have a BSA standard model air rifle in .22 calibre made between about1936 to 1939.

If you provide the full number the year of manufacture can be narrowed down a bit.

ATB Chris.

Hi Dave,

Ditto to what's been said...& the "T" prefix series are a little rarer than the "S" ones...so can command a bit more money.

Bye the way..are you in Leigh Nr. Sherbourne....?ATB,Chris.

Smile Oldand shaky

Hi Cris and Cris, thanks for the replies the full number is T661. I must invest in a book with more information about these lovely old airguns..
    Cris the Leigh I live in is in Lancashire.(well someone has to live here)..
    Dave..

T prefix BSA standard

Hi again,
    According to Dennis Hillers book, T1 - T2100 were made in 1936.
    so yours is a very early one!

Chris

Hi Dave,

The 'T patterns' as they are known by collectors , were the very last of the long cylinder 'sporting' .22 Standards and they made around 5000 of them only. they have a little more power than the 'S' prefix Standards, as they have a longer, heavier piston, however BSA took a backward step by returning to external trigger adjustment with this model, as opposed to the internal adjustment on the 'S' prefix guns.
    As already said your early serial number, will have been made in the first year of production, so it is an early example of the model.

All the best

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Hi Dave,

The 'T patterns' as they are known by collectors , were the very last of the long cylinder 'sporting' .22 Standards and they made around 5000 of them only. they have a little more power than the 'S' prefix Standards, as they have a longer, heavier piston, however BSA took a backward step by returning to external trigger adjustment with this model, as opposed to the internal adjustment on the 'S' prefix guns.
    As already said your early serial number, will have been made in the first year of production, so it is an early example of the model.

All the best

Lakey
    Hi Lakey, thats interesting, my 'T pattern' has internal trigger adjustment, it has also been modified with the original sights replaced by a BSA flip up rear sight and some type of BSA target fore-sight, maybe from a cartridge firing .22..
    I'm not sure about the internals either, I have taken some pictures and will post a link to them when I get them up on my photo site...
    Thanks..Dave...