Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie just dug out a WEIHRAUCH HW85K from the back of a cupboard!

late 80's WEIHRAUCH HW85K. Original & excellent condition.

Firstly, Hello everyone - I have just joined up after trying to find some info on my old HW85K.

I used to shoot FT regularly in the late 80's/early 90's when I was 15/16 while living in Galmpton, Devon. I was a member of the old 'quarry rifles' club, which I believe later moved & became South Devon AGC.

Anyhoo, after clearing out some old bit & bobs at my parents place recently I came across my old .177 HW85K - still in excellent shape having sat in a warm cupboard for nearly 20 years!

I'd really like to do some shooting again, so I'm after a bit of info on this gun...?

Should I keep it, get a better scope/mounts, make a few improvements & use it..... or would I be better off keeping it standard & selling it on to a collector & buying myself something 'newer'?

Any info/value on the 85 would be appreciated.

here's some pics of it.

Cheers, Chris.

Last edited by brinkster73; 14-08-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Welcome Chris.
    To Gentlemans Corner, I am not an expert on these rifles but there is a very knowledgeable member in your neck of the woods known as Stover Rover or there is the Rifle and Pistol club (opposite Quay West) between Goodrigton and Paignton.
    Good luck.
    Binners

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    It looks like the original 85, though it's difficult to be sure the scope rail is raised from pics, but I think so.
    Thanks for the reply - yes it does have the raised rail.

I do like the idea of using it as it has sentimental value - I just thought it might have been massively surpassed nowadays.

I would like to get a better stock for it - (something like the 'venom' stuff from back in the day) does anybody do these nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Welcome Chris.
    To Gentlemans Corner, I am not an expert on these rifles but there is a very knowledgeable member in your neck of the woods known as Stover Rover or there is the Rifle and Pistol club (opposite Quay West) between Goodrigton and Paignton.
    Good luck.
    Binners
    Thanks.

Yes, I used to go to the Paignton rifle club too!

I'm pretty sure Nick Jenkinson from the South Devon AGC still lives near me, so I may try & get hold of him for some advice.

Nice original rifle there Chris.. looks to be in very good condition..with a little bit of a DIY tune / re-lube I'm sure it will be running like a dream again

Thats one gun I would hang onto, you dont see many of them around.. its the daddy to the HW95.

Also have a look at the bonnie & clyde tuning kits as well if you decide to go down that road (HW 85 kits in stock)

Will..

P.s forgot to ask, what scope is that on top please Chris ? ( first dibbs if you want to sell it )

Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    Nice original rifle there Chris.. looks to be in very good condition..with a little bit of a DIY tune / re-lube I'm sure it will be running like a dream again

Thats one gun I would hang onto, you dont see many of them around.. its the daddy to the HW95.

Also have a look at the bonnie & clyde tuning kits as well if you decide to go down that road (HW 85 kits in stock)

Will..

P.s forgot to ask, what scope is that on top please Chris ? ( first dibbs if you want to sell it )
    Thanks again for the responses!

The scope is an 'ednar' 4 x 40...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I think it is a classier rifle than the HW95 (Beeman R9), but it made very little profit on each unit. Do a search on Beeman R10, which is what its name was in the USA.

Tune it, keep it, use it!

weihrauch

hi, ive an hw80 long barrel sat in the cupboard bought from new on a whim when they first came out oddily enough ive never used it still has the ticket fastened to the trigger guard with whats left of a red elastic band, will have to try it out one day and see how it shoots, if you have time lube yours up and enjoy it mate if you need to know anything technical or to tune it theres a lot of users on here who are willing to advice on your rifle.

Ok, it looks like it may be wise to keep the old girl!

Any advice as to where I should be taking it for a tune?

& would I be able to get a nice custom stock for it?

Also, what scope should I be looking at for a bit of field target & the odd hunting trip?

Cheers again for the help guys.

Yes, I was thinking along the lines of a 3-9 x 50 or similar... I can remember pouring over ads in Airgunner - tasco, bushnell & optima scopes being on the Xmas wishlist! Don't know if they're still the ones to have now!

I've shot a few venom tuned HW77's over the years, so am reasonably familiar with the feel of a nicely fettled springer.
    Last edited by brinkster73; 21-08-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brinkster73 View Post
    Ok, it looks like it may be wise to keep the old girl!

Any advice as to where I should be taking it for a tune?

& would I be able to get a nice custom stock for it?

Also, what scope should I be looking at for a bit of field target & the odd hunting trip?

Cheers again for the help guys.
    I would deffo hang onto her
    Do the tune yourself, HWs are easy to do, thats why they haven't changed the designs much over the years. A few DIY tuning kits available look on the forums..

As SA said chambers for the exploded diagram..

I dont know about a custom stock, maybe as she is on the lines of the 95 maybe one of those may fit, but I would keep her as she is gorgeous !!!!

3-9 x 40 4-14 x 44 6x40 2-7 x 32s they should be fine. the scope you have on is it an EDGAR BRO scope 4 x 40 ?

Will..

Quote Originally Posted by william View Post
    I would deffo hang onto her
    Do the tune yourself, HWs are easy to do, thats why they haven't changed the designs much over the years. A few DIY tuning kits available look on the forums..

As SA said chambers for the exploded diagram..

I dont know about a custom stock, maybe as she is on the lines of the 95 maybe one of those may fit, but I would keep her as she is gorgeous !!!!

3-9 x 40 4-14 x 44 6x40 2-7 x 32s they should be fine. the scope you have on is it an EDGAR BRO scope 4 x 40 ?

Will..
    Thanks Will, looks like you may be just the man to supply me with the tuning kit for it!

It would be nice if the 95 custom stocks fitted it as I would defo like one.

Oh & I'm pretty sure the scope is 'ednar', but I'll double check tomorrow.

It's defo a 4 x 40!

'85k

Have just polished and lubed my own .177 HW85K after it had been stripped down for over 2 years. Its shooting nicely, but I would love not simply to stop there but get the piston buttoned and a designed spring kit/guide fitted as well to really see how smooth I can this one to be.

There is a company called "Custom stocks" of Sheffield (I think thats the town) which do walnut stocks for your rifle.

Why not give the rifle a makeover and tune the innards and treat yourself to a stock. The bluing looks good so you can save that expense?

As suggested above- would NOT sell this one if I was you.

Dave

This could be up for grabs soon as I would like to get an S400 & can only really have one gun...

Would ideally like a swap/px deal on a pre AT S400...