Thread: Pellet Seating Tool...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The best pellet seating tool is a brass bolt or machine screw, with two nuts on. The diameter of the threaded part of the bolt needs to be around 4mm in diameter. You need to file the end of the threaded part into a truncated cone, then put on the two nuts and knit them up against each other to set the depth needed to seat the pellet.

It's adjustable, cheap, made of the right material and does the job perfectly.

Thanks very much -- interesting.
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Ill have a hunt around tonight , If I can find my own one you can have it , if you want mate .

Hth atvb fellas .

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    The little pencils that you pick up at IKEA work very well too

(the missus goes there.........not me )

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

Just to see what all the fuss is about, I knocked one up out of Delrin this afternoon.

Pic1 Pic2 Pic3 Pic4

Whether it makes a difference I have yet to find out

But you can feel the pellet going into the rifling as you push the breech home. On the Steyr, there is only about 35mm gap when the breech is open, so it is easier to push the probe gently with the breech, unless you have tiny little fingers.

I always thought these tools were for improving the seal and shape of the pellet skirt and ensuring consistent depth of seating in spring guns. Therefore matchsticks, cotton buds or their use with PCP's is pretty much a waste of time IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    I always thought these tools were for improving the seal and shape of the pellet skirt and ensuring consistent depth of seating in spring guns. Therefore matchsticks, cotton buds or their use with PCP's is pretty much a waste of time IMO.
    Out of interest, why wouldn't consistent depth of seating matter with PCPs?

I always thought these tools were for improving the seal and shape of the pellet skirt and ensuring consistent depth of seating in spring guns.
    I like to use them for sorting out 'dinked' pellet skirts.

A ball ended one in brass would be nice

Ever tried seating a .177 pellet in a Daystate mag without a seating tool?

You would need really tiny fingers!
    Born To Be Mild.

Cavalier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    Just to see what all the fuss is about, I knocked one up out of Delrin this afternoon.

Pic1 Pic2 Pic3 Pic4

Whether it makes a difference I have yet to find out

But you can feel the pellet going into the rifling as you push the breech home. On the Steyr, there is only about 35mm gap when the breech is open, so it is easier to push the probe gently with the breech, unless you have tiny little fingers.
    Nice looking tool and even if it don't work you will look cool using it
    I expect it is you Target boys and girls that get the best from it isn't it????

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
    Nice looking tool and even if it don't work you will look cool using it
    I expect it is you Target boys and girls that get the best from it isn't it????
    Ooh cheeky!

Actually got it out at the club today... the pellet probe, what did you think?

And guess what, with the Steyr groups at 45 yards were exactly the same as without probing, except a couple of mm lower due to the slightly lower velocity (about 15fps). So good try but no cigar.

I will try the same procedure in the 80 next time I get a chance to see if it helps with a .22 springer but TBH it was grouping brilliantly at 45 today too

Quote Originally Posted by mr who? View Post
    Ill have a hunt around tonight , If I can find my own one you can have it , if you want mate .

Hth atvb fellas .

Yep found it , If you want it P.M, me your address and Ill stick it in the post for you mate .

Hth atvb .

Andy .

Some great ideas here -- we are a nation of inventors!
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Remember, if you're thinking about making a pellet seater, it has to be made of something softer than the barrel material, that's why plastic or brass ones are best. While sticking a ball bearing onto the end of a rod of some sort might seem like a good way to get a spherical end on the tool, ball bearings are extremely hard, and while it might not scratch the breech, it could cause wear. Also, will the metal rod behind it contact the breech at all? Again, you have the possibility of wearing the barrel or even scratching it which could affect accuracy.

Since I shoot a lot of different pistols and rifles with various breech designs, I like my adjustable brass seater. Just the other night I was shooting a Hy-Score pistol, found that the brand of pellets I was using were a little oversized, just enough to stop them dropping fully into the barrel. The breech on the Hy-Score is down a recess that you drop the pellet into, so out came the adjustable pellet seater again, I wound the nuts along the thread a bit to extend it, it seated the pellets perfectly and allowed the breech to close without clipping the pellet skirt at all.

Seriously, the adjustable brass bolt pellet seater is the only one you will ever need. It won't wear away rapidly or shed bits of itself in the breech like a wooden pencil or a bit of plastic, as it's adjustable you can use it with a wide variety of airguns and experiment with seating to different depths, there really is no point using anything else.

If you like a round-ended pellet seater for some if your guns, you can easily file or cut the head of the bolt into a hemisphere like I did, which makes it even more versatile.