Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Seating Tool...

Pellet Seating Tool...

There was a great, free pellet seating tool attached to the June 2007 edition of Airgun World, but I've lost it

Can anyone recommend one available today and where ... or Terry D please, please, please offer another set on the future edition (they are so useful).

Finally, anyone recommend a decent set of digital micrometres for measuring accurately pellet diameters?
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

they came with the air gunner too .. never used mine. its still on the cover .
    got a million used pellets ,,,,,,,,, in my garden.
    .22 hw 97k . cz 452 .22lr . howa 204. savage 223. howa 22.250. howa 243. lakelander 7x57.fabarm 12g .lanber 12g shotgun. . and a big sharp knife.

Gloucester or Cemaes or somewhere in between
    a matchstick makes a good pellet seating tool re the micrometer, anything that will give you 2 decimal places in metric is probably good enough, anything more accurate than that is wasted due to the natural variations in pellet sizes and diameters. Personally I tend to favour a vernier gauge rather than micrometer, it's easier to handle.
    Weapon of choice: A 600mm Canon. Author of the Pellet Photobase. Twitter me or Burp the Frog
    "It's not what you feel that matters, it's who you touch"

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnel View Post
    they came with the air gunner too .. never used mine. its still on the cover .
    And is the cover still on ??!!
    Master Debater

A cotton bud with the bud cut off is ideal.

But if you want to be posh, a brass one is sold on the auction site every now and then for about £4.

They said buy it now - and I did.
    Born To Be Mild.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    I've got three pellet seating tools that I've accumulated over the years. The magazine freebie that's vaguely luminous plastic, a small plastic thingy from Gareth W-B and finally, the daddy of pellet seating tools The Beeman Pell Seat.
    Last edited by Sam Vimes; 28-07-2009 at 04:50 PM.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

The best pellet seating tool is a brass bolt or machine screw, with two nuts on. The diameter of the threaded part of the bolt needs to be around 4mm in diameter. You need to file the end of the threaded part into a truncated cone, then put on the two nuts and knit them up against each other to set the depth needed to seat the pellet.

It's adjustable, cheap, made of the right material and does the job perfectly.

Thanks very much -- interesting.
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Ill have a hunt around tonight , If I can find my own one you can have it , if you want mate .

Hth atvb fellas .

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    The little pencils that you pick up at IKEA work very well too

(the missus goes there.........not me )

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

Just to see what all the fuss is about, I knocked one up out of Delrin this afternoon.

Pic1 Pic2 Pic3 Pic4

Whether it makes a difference I have yet to find out

But you can feel the pellet going into the rifling as you push the breech home. On the Steyr, there is only about 35mm gap when the breech is open, so it is easier to push the probe gently with the breech, unless you have tiny little fingers.

I always thought these tools were for improving the seal and shape of the pellet skirt and ensuring consistent depth of seating in spring guns. Therefore matchsticks, cotton buds or their use with PCP's is pretty much a waste of time IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    I always thought these tools were for improving the seal and shape of the pellet skirt and ensuring consistent depth of seating in spring guns. Therefore matchsticks, cotton buds or their use with PCP's is pretty much a waste of time IMO.
    Out of interest, why wouldn't consistent depth of seating matter with PCPs?

I always thought these tools were for improving the seal and shape of the pellet skirt and ensuring consistent depth of seating in spring guns.
    I like to use them for sorting out 'dinked' pellet skirts.

A ball ended one in brass would be nice

Ever tried seating a .177 pellet in a Daystate mag without a seating tool?

You would need really tiny fingers!
    Born To Be Mild.