Thread: Pellet Seating Tool...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Some great ideas here -- we are a nation of inventors!
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Remember, if you're thinking about making a pellet seater, it has to be made of something softer than the barrel material, that's why plastic or brass ones are best. While sticking a ball bearing onto the end of a rod of some sort might seem like a good way to get a spherical end on the tool, ball bearings are extremely hard, and while it might not scratch the breech, it could cause wear. Also, will the metal rod behind it contact the breech at all? Again, you have the possibility of wearing the barrel or even scratching it which could affect accuracy.

Since I shoot a lot of different pistols and rifles with various breech designs, I like my adjustable brass seater. Just the other night I was shooting a Hy-Score pistol, found that the brand of pellets I was using were a little oversized, just enough to stop them dropping fully into the barrel. The breech on the Hy-Score is down a recess that you drop the pellet into, so out came the adjustable pellet seater again, I wound the nuts along the thread a bit to extend it, it seated the pellets perfectly and allowed the breech to close without clipping the pellet skirt at all.

Seriously, the adjustable brass bolt pellet seater is the only one you will ever need. It won't wear away rapidly or shed bits of itself in the breech like a wooden pencil or a bit of plastic, as it's adjustable you can use it with a wide variety of airguns and experiment with seating to different depths, there really is no point using anything else.

If you like a round-ended pellet seater for some if your guns, you can easily file or cut the head of the bolt into a hemisphere like I did, which makes it even more versatile.