Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pellet Seating Tool...

Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    Out of interest, why wouldn't consistent depth of seating matter with PCPs?
    OK for PCP without a bolt/probe I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbag View Post
    I like to use them for sorting out 'dinked' pellet skirts.

A ball ended one in brass would be nice
    That's why I said that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemorton View Post
    Ever tried seating a .177 pellet in a Daystate mag without a seating tool?

You would need really tiny fingers!
    Daystate didn't think it through.

Can't use them in a springer

My FAC TX loses 60fps or there about when I seat the pellet into the rifling. This has been confirmed by 2 other spring gun shooters at our club. It also made the shot cycle feel very harsh.

For break barrel springers.......

.......try a refreshing cocktail at your local (no driving for twelve hours mind) then take home the stirrer which should have a lovely little ball at one end
    ( BTW Probably best for .22")
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    My FAC TX loses 60fps or there about when I seat the pellet into the rifling. This has been confirmed by 2 other spring gun shooters at our club. It also made the shot cycle feel very harsh.

I think that by seating the pellet further into the barrel on a springer you are effectively increasing the volume of the transfer port leading to reduced efficiency and making piston bounce more likely, hence the reduced MV and increased harshness. Just a thought.

Try a golf tee.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Gloucester or Cemaes or somewhere in between
    just use the next pellet to seat the previous one.

simplessss
    Weapon of choice: A 600mm Canon. Author of the Pellet Photobase. Twitter me or Burp the Frog
    "It's not what you feel that matters, it's who you touch"

stick a ball bearing onto a bit of plastic or metal tubing or use an old lever type key cut down to size then rounded off that way you can put a bit of string through as a keepsake
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Cavalier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    Just to see what all the fuss is about, I knocked one up out of Delrin this afternoon.

Pic1 Pic2 Pic3 Pic4

Whether it makes a difference I have yet to find out

But you can feel the pellet going into the rifling as you push the breech home. On the Steyr, there is only about 35mm gap when the breech is open, so it is easier to push the probe gently with the breech, unless you have tiny little fingers.
    Nice looking tool and even if it don't work you will look cool using it
    I expect it is you Target boys and girls that get the best from it isn't it????

With built in pen...

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    .......try a refreshing cocktail at your local (no driving for twelve hours mind) then take home the stirrer which should have a lovely little ball at one end
    ( BTW Probably best for .22")
    And you can do what I did ,which is cut off the ball end of the stirrer with about 8mm of rod still attached and glue it into the end of a pen...
    Pellet seater at one end pen at the other... A Multi-Tool.

Andrew.
    No , you don't need a better guitar. You need some lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by mr who? View Post
    Ill have a hunt around tonight , If I can find my own one you can have it , if you want mate .

Hth atvb fellas .

Yep found it , If you want it P.M, me your address and Ill stick it in the post for you mate .

Hth atvb .

Andy .

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    .......try a refreshing cocktail at your local (no driving for twelve hours mind) then take home the stirrer which should have a lovely little ball at one end.
    (BTW Probably best for 0.22")
    Correct! But the other end is rounded off too, for 0.177". Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Some great ideas here -- we are a nation of inventors!
    B.A.S.C | HW100Tuning KT250bar+reg+tune .177+4-16x50 | HW95.177 +4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune | TX200HC.22 + 4-16x44 | HW97KT.22 + 4-16x44 + Paul Short Stage 4 & Trigger Tune

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    I think that by seating the pellet further into the barrel on a springer you are effectively increasing the volume of the transfer port leading to reduced efficiency and making piston bounce more likely, hence the reduced MV and increased harshness. Just a thought.
    Pretty much so but rather than bounce, you are probably allowing c-r-a-sh!

Not a good idea to push a pellet down a springer's bore.

I use a fingernail to ensure consistent flush seating. While still attached to my finger, lest there be any doubt...
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Remember, if you're thinking about making a pellet seater, it has to be made of something softer than the barrel material, that's why plastic or brass ones are best. While sticking a ball bearing onto the end of a rod of some sort might seem like a good way to get a spherical end on the tool, ball bearings are extremely hard, and while it might not scratch the breech, it could cause wear. Also, will the metal rod behind it contact the breech at all? Again, you have the possibility of wearing the barrel or even scratching it which could affect accuracy.

Since I shoot a lot of different pistols and rifles with various breech designs, I like my adjustable brass seater. Just the other night I was shooting a Hy-Score pistol, found that the brand of pellets I was using were a little oversized, just enough to stop them dropping fully into the barrel. The breech on the Hy-Score is down a recess that you drop the pellet into, so out came the adjustable pellet seater again, I wound the nuts along the thread a bit to extend it, it seated the pellets perfectly and allowed the breech to close without clipping the pellet skirt at all.

Seriously, the adjustable brass bolt pellet seater is the only one you will ever need. It won't wear away rapidly or shed bits of itself in the breech like a wooden pencil or a bit of plastic, as it's adjustable you can use it with a wide variety of airguns and experiment with seating to different depths, there really is no point using anything else.

If you like a round-ended pellet seater for some if your guns, you can easily file or cut the head of the bolt into a hemisphere like I did, which makes it even more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
    Nice looking tool and even if it don't work you will look cool using it
    I expect it is you Target boys and girls that get the best from it isn't it????
    Ooh cheeky!

Actually got it out at the club today... the pellet probe, what did you think?

And guess what, with the Steyr groups at 45 yards were exactly the same as without probing, except a couple of mm lower due to the slightly lower velocity (about 15fps). So good try but no cigar.

I will try the same procedure in the 80 next time I get a chance to see if it helps with a .22 springer but TBH it was grouping brilliantly at 45 today too