Thread: Daisy 922 lowdown

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Daisy 922 lowdown

Although many pump-up air-rifles were sold in the UK in the 1980s, only a few of these 'pneumatics' have got cult status, or indeed are remembered with nostalgic fondness. Unlike most springers - some people even find nice things to say about the Relum range, or the trashier Webleys (Hawk Mk 3, anyone?) - there are a number of pump-ups that sank without trace.

The most commonly revered one is the Sharps Innova, as well as its lesser-known stablemates the Victory and the Ace. Then there is the redoubtable Sheridan, which never shot decent groups until the 1990s when accurate .20 pellets became available. And some people like the Crosman Mark 1, its got nice open sights and a comfortable wooden stock.

There is a whole horde of non-glamorous ones out there though: the plastic Crosmans like the 766 and 788, the 760 and the 761XL (basis for the Whaley/Marshal Crosmans, the most over-hyped and over-priced pieces of trash ever to grace the cover of AGW), the various nasty bike-pump Benjamins, the overpowered Setra, a sort of low quality Spanish Sheridan, and last but not least, the Daisy Powerline series, some of which are still made and sold.

Has anyone tested a Daisy Powerline 922 for power and accuracy? The one with the little plastic clips for 5 rounds? Just asking as I lusted after one in a Sports shop in Oxford, little knowing that the BSA Meteor I borrowed from my Dad was a vastly superior piece of kit ...
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 28-07-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Intresting thred. I have the Sheridan Silver Streak and Williams Peep sight, The Sharp Ace , The Benjamin 347, Crossman Model 1, & 766 and a Daisy 922. I enjoy shooting all of them. The Daisy is intresting with the harmonica clip but its a big weakness in my opinion as its not very well made. i have thought of seeing if i can get them made in harder plastic or maybe aluminium, works well with flat head pellets like hobby , not tested for power yet but would not expect morre than about 9.5 -10 foot pounds, will test at club latter and get back to you. Yes i wanted a Whalley myself as a kid, but no chance of that so have looked for one for years, Overhyped! maybe, but so have many other guns over the years, Loguns spring to mind, i allmost bought a Logun Professional a few years back, then it was pointed out magazine was set for one type of pellet, accupels, if i wanted to change the pellet it would need attention of a gunsmith to reseat it. Neadless to say i did not buy the Logun!. Crossman model 1 is a top rifle as is the 140 apart from sights! ok for close in rats in a barn though! atb

My Scout Master used to have a Powerline 922 with a Rhino 4x20 scope. I only used it once or twice, and that was many years ago and before I had any meaningful experience of shooting. It broke (I think someone over-pumped it and knackered the seals, if that's possible) and was replaced with a BSA Meteor.

He swore by the 922 and used to use it for rabbits.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Daisy 922

I got one a few years ago from M.A.G. to have a look at. It was down on power because of the "o" ring on the pump set up. I ordered a set from NIbbs (about £22! and £8 for a single pellet clip as he didnt have the multi shot clip). In the meantime I wrapped a turn of ptfe under the "o" ring and the gun fired ok on about 3 pumps. My nephew still uses it at that and has the pump set up for spare. I found the rifle to be very crappily made----AND I think the crossman pistol is the same although people seem to like them. I think its because once you get up to about £60 in America, you tend to just buy a .22 rifle. As with a few other guns, curiosity satisfied and in no rush to get another.
    Im pretty sure someone in AGW hunted with one for an article in about 1980.

Tried the 922 at club on Weds, it worked well, some "witty banter" as to the toy i had borrowed of my son!. its not very accurate with open sights and the five shoot pellet clip was to be fair a bit of a nusence. And yet i like it its different, perverse as ever when evreyone else hates it i love it! Not one of my best pump ups compared to my Sheridan or my Sharp ace but good fun.