Thread: Lincoln Comet .177, info please

Lincoln Comet .177, info please

Hi all, have just bought a .177 Lincoln Comet for my Grandson to use, picture here.

It's a nice little rifle, quite tidy and works reasonably well although missing the rear sight and I'm sure he will be thrilled with it. However it isn't a model I remember particularly well and wondered if anyone could give any info on this model? I seem to think they were Spanish? made in the early 80's? Theres only one mention in the archive of these guns, that I can find and seems to have been unanswered. Would love to find a rear sight to complete it and copy handbook but I suspect that may be a forlorn hope. Any help gratefully received.

Lincoln ?

The rear block which is slanted should have COMETA stamped on it ( I think ) , saw one with ' Cometa V ', but the steel is very good quality and teh stamp left a partial stamping with some of the letters not well defined ... Don't know where the Lincoln comes into it Rugged well made retro springer

Maybe I'm completely wrong...but that sloped rear chamber looks Cometa .
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Thanks, wondered if it had anything to do with them. The cylinder on the top l/h rear has LINCOLN COMET stamped on it and a 4 digit serial number underneath near the trigger guard. Can't see cometa on it anywhere though, but I suspect you are right. It does seem to be a good quality gun, nice figuring on the stock good blueing etc. Regards, David.

From Memorey David Nickerson Thathwell used to bring them in from Spain in the early 80s. They were discontinued due to there poor quality. The newer Cometas are a much improved design, however i beleve with a bit of tlc they can make a good basic back garden plinker and should be ideal for your little un. atb.

Thanks, maybe my memory isn't as bad as I think it is. Surprised re quality though, nice stock, smooth trigger, shoots straight and wacks the pellets flush into strong 3/4" ply at 20 yds. Having stripped it, end cap screws into cylinder rather than a pin, general finish/fit of parts seems very good and no undue wear that I can see - maybe this was just a good one?

Yes thats possible they wernt all bad, just a point watch plywood as a back stoop , i would suggest old carpet or sand. Plywood can send the pellet back at you with some considerable force, and i am sure i dont need to advise you using shooting saftey glasses for youre Grandsons eyes. atb