Thread: Uberti low/high wall which calibre?

Question Uberti low/high wall which calibre?

Thinking of asking for a single shot Uberti on my next variation but not sure which cal to ask for, allready reloading .38 special but thinking of .38-55 or 44-40 or stick to .38-.357 as allready have everything to reload, any thoughts please, cheers Tezz

Hi Tezz
    First consideration would be the type of shooting you want to do. The 38-55 is a good medium range cartridge with black powder loads and is quite popular in the USA amongst the silhouette shooters, who have reported good accuracy upto 500 plus yards. There’s plenty of moulds available to choose and from what I have read, MOA accuracy is possible with this load. However, I should point out my interest in this cartridge is strictly associated with black powder only. Though, I see no reason why it should not perform equally well with nitro.

I will not comment on the 44-40 and 38/357 as my experience and knowledge of these loads are extremely limited. I would assume these would be popular rounds for cowboy action shoots?!

Personally, if I was going to buy a single shot Hiwall as you plan to do, I would go with the 38-55 as it would fit in with the type of shooting I do. Conversely, if I wanted to blast away at close range targets with a repeater the latter would be given serious consideration.

ATB

Thumbs up all change

thanks for the info Anand have now decided to go the 45-70 route, have tried 2 rifles in this calibre and it seems cases and heads are easily available from the club I use plus I can use either Pyrodex or 777, cheers Tezz

Tezz,

What price and from where on the Uberti? I've only seen the Pedersoli High Walls advertsied at Kranks for a ridiculous price of £3800+, which for a factory Italian compared to say a Meacham is a bit tall.

45-70 probably the best route as components are easier to come by. When I did shoot smokless in a straight case the Accurate 5744 powder was very good and made specifically for this purpose.

Terry
    Last edited by thibben; 03-08-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling

The venerable 45-70. Very good choice indeed I shoot the 45-70 in a Sharps and it’s an extremely versatile cartridge upto 1000yds with the right load. I hope you will give BP some serious consideration as the 45-70 comes to its own when loaded with the black stuff

I too would be interested where you plan to buy the Hiwalls from as they are appear to be quite rare in our shores.

ATB.

If you fancy a single shot rifle i dont think you can better the 45/70 or 45/90.
    I have a long range creedmore rolling block in 45/70 and its great. Iv also had a Marlin lever action and a Ruger No1 in this calibre but theres something about the rolling block with 50grns of black powder and a postell bullet that just seems right. Iv tried nitro in it which works ok but for me nitro doesnt have the grin factor you get with the black stuff.

45-70

hi chaps, decided to go the 45-70 route after talking to the dealer who supplies our club he carries all the bits for reloading and shoots this cal himself, have sent in my variation for a 45-70 single shot rifle and waiting for the OK, have rang Kranks but very expensive so will be looking for a second hand either Uberti Hiwall or Pedersoli Sharpes so depending on what comes up first decides which to buy, fingers crossed for variation, cheers Tezz

Unhappy Uberti High Wall

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    Tezz,

What price and from where on the Uberti? I've only seen the Pedersoli High Walls advertsied at Kranks for a ridiculous price of £3800+, which for a factory Italian compared to say a Meacham is a bit tall.

45-70 probably the best route as components are easier to come by. When I did shoot smokless in a straight case the Accurate 5744 powder was very good and made specifically for this purpose.

Terry
    Kranks new cataloque quotes £696 for a Sporting carbine and £786 for Special Sporting ? rang yesterday about a Pedersoli Sharpes 2 in stock #1@ £1100 and #2 @ £1200 yikes

Low wall in .357 cal. I only wish

HELLO OUT THERE. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I WAS THUMBING THROUGH KRANK'S CATALOGUE SOME YEARS BACK NOW AND WAS TAKEN WITH THE LOW WALL MODEL AND HAD A SPACE ON MY CERT FOR .357 MAG WHICH THEY PROUDLY ADVERTISED AS ONE OF THE CALIBERS AVAILLABLE. SO I ORDERED ONE THROUGH MY LOCAL DEALER. AFTER OVER A YEAR OF WAITING AND LOTS OF PHONE CALLS TO KRANKS. AND THE IMPORTER I WAS TOLD YOU HAVE GOT NO HOPE IN THAT CALIBER AS THEY WOULD ONLY PRODUCE THEM IF THERE WAS A DEMAND FOR IT !!! (PERHAPS I WAS'NT DEMANDING ENOUGH ) STILL LOOKING FOR A QUALITY SINGLE SHOT IN CLASSIC LINES .357 MAG

45-70

well, variation dropped through the letter box today, slot for 45-70 single shot rifle, plus Kranks new cataloque, cheapest Highwall £696, Pedersoli rolling block £758 Sharps Cavalry £960 looks like second hand then

plus

Quote Originally Posted by middaycowboy View Post
    well, variation dropped through the letter box today, slot for 45-70 single shot rifle, plus Kranks new cataloque, cheapest Highwall £696, Pedersoli rolling block £758 Sharps Cavalry £960 looks like second hand then
    plus slot for another .44 BP revolver

Hi Tezz. Just had a look on the guntrader web site and theres a parker hale rolling block in 45/70 but doesnt give a lot of imfo about it. Looks like second hand ones are a bit thin on the ground at the moment.
    I payed £550 for my Pedersoli long range creedmore in 45/70 some years ago and its still worth that now so if a new one is £750 ish it doesnt seem too expensive as a long term buy. Tim