Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: webley Omega

webley Omega

Morning, never really looked at these guns when new as was out of sport at that time. Had the chance to use one at friends (thanks Zed). Its barrel relese catch reminded me of an Anschutz 335, and the saftey catch seemed the same as on my Fwb 127. I was impressed!, streets ahead of the old Hawk and Vulcan. So what went wrong ! why these days are "Webleys " springers simply Hatsan rifles with Webley stamped on them!, and why pay inflated prices for these Webleys when you could buy the Edger Brother range for considerable less money for what is in reality the same gun !

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by fat man View Post
    Morning, never really looked at these guns when new as was out of sport at that time. Had the chance to use one at friends (thanks Zed). Its barrel relese catch reminded me of an Anschutz 335, and the saftey catch seemed the same as on my Fwb 127. I was impressed!, streets ahead of the old Hawk and Vulcan. So what went wrong ! why these days are "Webleys " springers simply Hatsan rifles with Webley stamped on them!, and why pay inflated prices for these Webleys when you could buy the Edger Brother range for considerable less money for what is in reality the same gun !
    Probably its just Hatsan enjoying the Webley reputation to sell it's rifles.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Imo, the Omega was by far the best rifle Webley ever made. Although based around the tube and internals of the Vulcan (albeit using better grade materials/components), the latch, as you say, was cribbed from an Anschutz LG335, and the safety, an improved version of the rear safety as found on the FWB Sport (say 'improved' as unlike those fitted to the FWB, the Omega's safety continues to work after many years, whereas we all know about the failings of the Sport's safety ).

I actually own the very Anschutz LG335, that Webley & Scott's Research and Development department studied to take the barrel latch design from (and have the paperwork to prove this is the rifle, too ), and have it sat in then rack as an open sight shooter alongside my own beloved Omega carbine .177 ... Although only running at around 10ft.lb said Anschutz (also in .177), is my second favourite break-barrel after my Omega.

Finally, so to your last point. Sadly the original Brum-based company of Webley & Scott went belly up in 2005, and the factory was broken up. The Webley museum exhibits were all sold via auction (which is how I ended up with the above detailed Anschutz), and the rights to attach the name Webley to an air rifle were sold to a consortium who since 2006/7 have used it to badge imported items from around the globe. There you go -- every day is a school day . Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 01-08-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: to ad my usual 'every day is a school day' line ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth.... did you prompt Fat man to start this thread

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Gareth.... did you prompt Fat man to start this thread
    ... Cheeky . But it couldn't really've been more up my street, could it ??? Ha ha ha. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I have just bought, after a lot of negotiations, the prototype Webley Omega (Lot no 1117) from the Wallis & Wallis auction.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

In answer to the question, no Gareth did not prompt me to start the thread, but i am glad i did. Its another on my list, Zeds example that i shoot had been welll used and the blueing was almost non existant but it is in my opinion probably the best of the true Webley break barrels. I wont buy a modern Webley on principle and the fact i dont like paying for something thats badge stamped. Its not made by Webley in Birmingham then it aint Webley as far as I am concerned. The Hatsans I have seen imported by Edgar Brothers have been well made and I wish them luck with them, i would buy as a basic springer as there cheap and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I have just bought, after a lot of negotiations, the prototype Webley Omega (Lot no 1117) from the Wallis & Wallis auction.
    ... Ooh ya lucky bugga ... Pics please .

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Strange thing, but I have a little mental list of which BBS members will reply to a thread with 'Webley Omega' as the title. Hmm.....

Gareth - Check.
    IJ (with yet another sooper dooper mega rare version of the gun) - Check.
    Punchsteve (to pipe up that he still owns his) - Check.

Quote Originally Posted by Punchsteve View Post
    Punchsteve (to pipe up that he still owns his) - Check.
    ... Proper job matey, good to hear, and hope all is well with you . Atb: G.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Will do as soon as I sober up.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Will do as soon as I sober up.
    Yeah, that bottled waters a git ain't it?

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

ATB
    Ian
    Nice find I.J.
    I'm envious.
    From the catalogue picture, it looks like the front sling attachment is brazed/soldered to the barrel; Is that correct ?
    The Omega is not top of my list, as the Mk.2 Service is my all time favourite, as I believe it is yours , but it's very high on my my list of favourite springers.

Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    Yeah, that bottled waters a git ain't it?
    Cheers.
    Roy.
    I refuse a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Nice find I.J.
    I'm envious.
    From the catalogue picture, it looks like the front sling attachment is brazed/soldered to the barrel; Is that correct ?
    The Omega is not top of my list, as the Mk.2 Service is my all time favourite, as I believe it is yours , but it's very high on my my list of favourite springers.
    No. Its just your normal every day run of the mill barrel band.

Photos to follow.

ATB
    Ian

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    A very nice rifle the Omega,just not as good as the Tomahawk/Longbow
    That said that gasram Omega I had a play with was a very special piece of kit indeed,awsome infact.