Thread: webley senior info please

webley senior info please

hi all, chronoed my senior .22 yesterday ,this is a neat mint gun which has had very little use ,was doing 250fps with accupel 14.3g.thought this was a bit slow and the breech seal is good so took out the inards for a look see.piston ring and bore looked good although the spring looked a bit warped and sad[free lenght 6 1/8"],question is would it benefit from a new spring?i do not want agreat amount of power but would like it performing as it should..it has the birmingham 4 address so iknow it is pre 1958 but on the frame under the grip is stamped 952 is this a date stamp?all replies from you knowledgeable folk out there will be very much appreciated...greasemonkey

Most of my old pistols have an old weak spring in them - strong enough to work but not to put anything under any pressure any more...

250fps does sound a little low. If you are after a new spring for it, Chambers do them for just under £10 http://www.gunspares.co.uk

Matt
    My Club: http://www.wendoverarc.co.uk
    Rifles: Air Arms S400 - Air Arms TX200HC - Webley MkII Service Rifle - BSA Imp Model D
    Pistols: Webley Seniors - Webley Juniors - Beretta 92FS - Cobra Crossbow

new spring

If the piston ring and breech seal are ok then a new spring should take the velocity up to about 330 ft/sec with a 14 grain pellet or 370 ft/sec with a light pellet such as the 11 grain Hobby
    Accupels may be a bit loose fit in the Webley barrel.
    John
    hold me back !!

many thanks for all the advice so far,shall invest in a new spring..would still like to know if the 952 stamped on the frame under the grip is a date stamp?..anyone out there know?..cheers ..greasemonkey

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    many thanks for all the advice so far,shall invest in a new spring..would still like to know if the 952 stamped on the frame under the grip is a date stamp?..anyone out there know?..cheers ..greasemonkey

Yes - Sept 1952 - If you are going to use it a lot, you could put a rubber breach washer from a later premier in it as they seal better.

thanks mark,i knew someone on here would know, not going to use it a lot as it is about as near mint as they come,but will still get the occasional outing as these are lovely pistols to shoot and i woundnt want it if i could not shoot it...cheers ..greasemonkey
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 04-08-2009 at 10:44 AM.