Thread: bsa standard , help please

bsa standard , help please

hi there , i'm having trouble removing the large screw that holds the butt in place , ive had it soaking in wd40 for a weel and the bugger is still solid , any hints or tips from those in the know would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance
    Alan
    Last edited by alanssaab; 09-08-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Alan,
    if you are just trying to get to the spring etc, leave the butt on the trigger block. Remove the trigger guard and unscrew the whole lot from the cylinder.

no mate , i need to get the butt off as it's full of worm thanks
    Alan

Eddie has had success with diesel for freeing things up. WD40 doesn't seem to work.

hi,this is a bit tricky on a standard due to the lenght of the hole in the butt,but you may want to give it a go as a last resort..heat up red hot the end of a long bar simular in diameter to the screw head,place hot part of rod on screw end and allow enough time for heat to transfer itself from bar to screw.repeat several times ..stop if wood starts to smoke a lot.if it wont shift after this i dont think it ever will.you should neutralize the wd40 first to prevent it igniting.. good luck greasemonkey

Hello ,

I went to a tool store and bought the largest flat blade screwdriver I could find that would fit. A lot of cloth around the butt and gently held it in a vice.
    I then used a a large adjustable spanner on the screwdriver handle for extra leverage - Bobs your Aunt and the bolt came out.
    WD40 ? Great on wet/damp electrical stuff. I'd use parafin or diesel myself.

Just my thoughts .

Regards,

Sam

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

bolt removal

I had this on the improved model B ("screwdriver sos thread")--I managed to get a screwdriver from Halfords but it was a bit thin in the blade and the shaft really so a proper fitting driver would be a real help. I removed the trigger guard and trigger and put some plus gas in the hole where the bolt goes and left it overnight. I inserted the screwdriver into the stock and put a small bart through the handle and kept a bit of pressure on. Once it moved, I tightened it again before trying to undo it some more. I did this until it came most of the way and then when the stock came off and only the fit of the stock on the bolt was holding it, tapped it out. There was a fair bit of crud on the bolt which was why it was tight. Someone suggested Beeswax to lubicate the bolt and I suppose you could try getting a bit of that down to the edges of the bolt head. Ive been thinking about this now and maybe if you can squirt some furniture polish down to the side of the bolt, this might help it "slide" across the wood. The bolt on mine is thick at each end for about an inch and tapers to the middle, so that is what is holding it in the stock once the thread is undone.

thanks guys , going to try and get the bugger off just now

the hot rod method worked a treat , thanks guys
    Alan