Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .454 lead balls HOW MUCH!!!!!

.454 lead balls HOW MUCH!!!!!

just got back from a ride to the "local" shop for a box of 100 lead balls

tomoro is a muzzle loading revolver comp at the club, 6 left hand 6 right hand, I won it last time. and fancied another go at it this time, plenty of wads, powder, but hardly any balls

50 miles later I hear box of 100 yes sir

£14.95

AAARRGGHH!!
    Don't worry it only seems kinky the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Westcountry Tony View Post

tomoro is a muzzle loading revolver comp at the club, 6 left hand 6 right hand, I won it last time. and fancied another go at it this time, plenty of wads, powder, but hardly any balls

£14.95

AAARRGGHH!!
    id heard you havent got any balls mate never mind ill see ya tmw!

LOL cheers fella GRRRR LOL

will be shooting a 12 shot comp with 11 shots and no zeroing opportunity

no way was I paying 14.95

3 months back they were £7.95

£14.95. plus fuel to fetch them. Ouch!!! Do what most of our guys do including me and make your own. Yes initial cost is about £80 for a Lee melting pot and mold but then its cheaper all the way. Any pure lead such as roof flashing or old water piping will make good balls and its dead easy once you master the basics. If you nead help with setting up theres plenty of folks on here that will offer advice. Tim

£14.95

AAARRGGHH!!
    ! £14.95 !!

I take it they were swaged jobbies in a nice yellow plastic box ...

Nearest bullet caster to me charges £6.50/100 - but even that is too much for me & we now cast our own

I also got fed up with wad prices too & now make my own wads & use a combination of dry & pre-lubed

Using 18gn Swiss No 2 & getting all in the black (most 9s & 10s) @ 25m on a PL7 target (two handed - just need to work on the one handed & see if I can pull the group in a little !)

Roy

PS - are you up to Bisley for the Trafalgar ??

Last edited by harricook; 11-08-2009 at 10:34 AM.

nope these were in a cardboard box!! didnt even get the fancy plastic box

I am no expert at BP revolvers, but getting there, lucky to have advice from some of the best pistol and BP shooters around, at our club.

25m PL7 single handed all in the black, and left handed they are 60-70% in the black, its not a natural hold for me and so I struggle

but I probably only get the smokey ol things out maybe twice a year so maybe with practice I can improve

no not doing trafalgar, Im up for the gallery rifle nationals this month, pinewood next month, then the action weekend october, cant justify 2 long weekends one week apart to do the trafalgar, and I not got much to shoot with there anyway.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Count yourself lucky.

£14.95

AAARRGGHH!!
    £15.80 at Henry Krank and there's postage on top of that.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

sounds like someone on the BBS could start up a little home industry? I =know you cant sell homeload cartridges but I would imagine that lead balls are ok?

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Prices

Quote Originally Posted by pnuk View Post
    sounds like someone on the BBS could start up a little home industry? I =know you cant sell homeload cartridges but I would imagine that lead balls are ok?
    If they could beat the commercial prices I'd buy off they. Living in a small flat doesn't give me the room to do it myself.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Trouble is - the only one that would make anything out of the deal is Postman Pat !

I sell ball & Minie to guys at the club & guys local to me - but as soon as you get to post them - it makes it not worth doing 100 x 454/457 balls just over a kilo - then they have to be packed to resist Nuclear Holocaust (sorry - Royal Mail sorting office) .....

Only thing I am doing by post are .45" cal wads - lubed & unlubed - also started doing them just for club members & has 'grown' a bit !!

Cheers

Roy

Try Leicester Shooting Centre for cast balls 0116 2827515 after 16:00h

Not sure what sizes in stock but they will be cheaper.
    Bob
    "Nihil est Impossibilis"
    motto of The Glider Pilot Regiment 1942 - 1957

Bought some .454's at the club today & still in shock - £14.50. Hornaday in a new style pretty cardboard box. I'll start casting soon.

Casting ball

f you do decide to go the casting route, have a look at http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/. Jeff makes moulds to order so you can have one to suit the exact chamber diameter you need. They were good enough for me to use in an original percussion duelling pistol in Australia last year and win the World Championship.

Can't recommend them highly enough.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Congratulations, Nick!

Congratulations X10, Champ!

What type of pistol did you use to win the event?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

The problem there is that people rarely ever value the time someone puts into the casting and virtually expect them to work for free. Postage is another problem.
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger