Thread: LP10 sight rail

Thumbs up LP10 sight rail

On Thursday I picked up my scope rail from Hydrographics. Superb workmanship as expected.

It mounts in place of the rearsight with the single allen bolt. It is machined to clear the cocking lever at full cock so the sight has to be mounted back over the hand. This is no hardship though as it hardly alters the balance of the pistol.

It is a Weaver rail designed to mount my Hakko Panorama MK 3 red dot for pistol FT. Because I only required a short mount there is only 2 inches of actual Weaver rail. However if in the future I wish to mount a small pistol scope this would still be possible by putting the two mounts close together on one side of the turret.

The best thing about this is that because the sight is mounted further back I can access the fixing bolt and can quickly remove the rail and sight together and replace the standard rearsight in under a minute for a bit of paper punching. Because of the tight tolerances there should no loss of zero. When tightened up it certainly seems to be nice and solid; we shall see.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...LP10HakkoL.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...LP10HakkoR.jpg
    Last edited by Adam77K; 09-06-2010 at 10:04 AM.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    On Thursday I picked up my scope rail from Hydrographics. Superb workmanship as expected.

It mounts in place of the rearsight with the single allen bolt. It is machined to clear the cocking lever at full cock so the sight has to be mounted back over the hand. This is no hardship though as it hardly alters the balance of the pistol.

It is a Weaver rail designed to mount my Hakko Panorama MK 3 red dot for pistol FT. Because I only required a short mount there is only 2 inches of actual Weaver rail. However if in the future I wish to mount a small pistol scope this would still be possible by putting the two mounts close together on one side of the turret.

The best thing about this is that because the sight is mounted further back I can access the fixing bolt and can quickly remove the rail and sight together and replace the standard rearsight in under a minute for a bit of paper punching. Because of the tight tolerances there should no loss of zero. When tightened up it certainly seems to be nice and solid; we shall see.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...LP10HakkoL.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...LP10HakkoR.jpg
    As a dedicated ISSF 10m pistol shooter, would it not be better and cheaper to learn to shoot with open sights rather than mangle a magnificent match pistol, just my thoughts.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Who's mangling?
    Sounds like a bolt on alternative allowing return to absolutely stock when required.
    I'm considering a similar thing for my Rohm for Pistol HFT, nice one Adam, looks good
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Evans Above View Post
    As a dedicated ISSF 10m pistol shooter, would it not be better and cheaper to learn to shoot with open sights rather than mangle a magnificent match pistol, just my thoughts.
    Not mangled in the least

It can be put back to standard in under a minute, without even losing zero. The rail bolts to the rearsight mount hole. I shoot 6 yds paper in the UBC internet comps using open sights, and pistol FT with the red dot on. Open sights are not ideal for shooting irregular shaped silhouettes, at unknown ranges, sometimes in dark woodland, from about 4-25 yds. I won the 09-10 NEFTA winter league pistol comp with this setup.

I do intend to join a local club and have a go at "proper" 10m though so don't worry it will get used as Steyr intended too.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

That looks brilliant Adam and I fully support your explanation as to why this is required.

If all one is going to do is 10mtr paper punching, then yes, the open sights can/should be left on BUT IF one wants to push the boundaries and experience more from their pistol, yours is a truly superb way of doing so.

With "Mangle" being A verb meaning to wreck or obliterate, I fail to see how it can be applied in this case as no damage, wrecking or obliteration of the LP10 is required . If Steyr thought that the simple act of undoing one allen screw and removing the rear sight assembly ammounted to "Mangling" their product, I'm fairly sure they would not have provided the facility in the first place.

All the best
    Bob
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

The allen screw is provided to allow the rearsight to be moved back and forth to adjust the sight base so it is even designed to be adjusted by the end user.

E-mail sent to Hydro-Graphics hopefully they will still have the design details. By the way, was yours a 22mm or 11mm rail Adam?

I really feel the need to MANGLE my new LP10

All the best and see you on 3rd July
    Bob
    He who dies with the most toys wins. Flying, shooting, fishing and sports cars, what more could a man want.

Quote Originally Posted by rattycatcher View Post
    E-mail sent to Hydro-Graphics hopefully they will still have the design details. By the way, was yours a 22mm or 11mm rail Adam?

I really feel the need to MANGLE my new LP10

All the best and see you on 3rd July
    Bob
    It's a 22mm, proper Weaver rail as I wanted it specifically for that sight (genuine Hakko Panorama mk3).

Adam

mmmm very nice

Now that's what I call air pistol eye candy ...

An amazing pistol perfectly joined by a great a great example of custom engineering to a top spec. optical sight. You lucky lucky

Adam, from someone who has only ever experienced cheapie from the bay Holo Red Dots are the top spec sights worth the dosh?

Thanks for the pics.

Now if I sell my two Ultra's, my pistol collection, the dog, the kids wendy house and the wife's car I may have enough cash for the same spec gun.

Ian
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW

Quote Originally Posted by tayloriand View Post
    Adam, from someone who has only ever experienced cheapie from the bay Holo Red Dots are the top spec sights worth the dosh?
    Well I'd love to answer that but as of yet I've never experienced the cheapie from the bay holo sights!

I've got the Hakko sight and an almost identical Barska branded one I got from Midway UK. The latter is still decent quality though, and the only real downside is the dot brightness.

I still can't believe my luck in getting the Hakko though. I searched on the bay and that one came up in the US. I bid on it speculatively, expecting it to go for decent money, and won it for 59 dollars (when the exchange rate wasn't far off 2:1) !

Shipping added about 50% to the cost but I was still chuffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    Well I'd love to answer that but as of yet I've never experienced the cheapie from the bay holo sights!

I've got the Hakko sight and an almost identical Barska branded one I got from Midway UK. The latter is still decent quality though, and the only real downside is the dot brightness.

I still can't believe my luck in getting the Hakko though. I searched on the bay and that one came up in the US. I bid on it speculatively, expecting it to go for decent money, and won it for 59 dollars (when the exchange rate wasn't far off 2:1) !

Shipping added about 50% to the cost but I was still chuffed.
    Thanks for the info, my sight is 22mm also, so your rail would be perfect (don't put it down on 3rd July)

re the above, although not from "the bay" mine are cheap (ish) at £35 so would be interesting to see the difference.

All the best
    Bob

Bob. is offline I think I'll keep with "Registered User" then
    A £35 scope on a £1300 pistol????????

Come on Bob, you can do better than that

How about a nice Zeiss Holographic scope?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Red_Dot.html

Or, knowing you (and your love of gadgets and lasers), how about this;

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lographic.html

Bob.