Thread: Black Powder problem !

Black Powder problem !

I washed down the 25m indoor range at the weekend to remove grease etc.

A fellow club member this evening, used a .44 revolver BP with pre-lubed wads and 24gr of BP. After approx 30 shots the floor in front of the firing point was thick with grease and powder residue!

Previously we have had BP revolver users firing all night with only some very mild grease and powder residue deposited on the floor.

Is the firer using too much powder for 25m and if so what is the ideal load for this range?

What else could be causing this problem?

Is he using homemade wads? i.e. covering the felt with TREX, olive oil/beeswax mixture etc. My method and sometimes get moaned at about the mess.

The manufactured wads I have used in the past never caused any problems. However I prefer my own..

Quote Originally Posted by john paul View Post
    Is he using homemade wads? i.e. covering the felt with TREX, olive oil/beeswax mixture etc. My method and sometimes get moaned at about the mess.

The manufactured wads I have used in the past never caused any problems. However I prefer my own..
    As I spent all saturday morning on my hands and knees scrubbing bullet lube and burnt powder off the floor, I was less than impressed with the mess on Monday evening. The member was 'grilled' thoroughly and he was using pre-lubed wads and not some home made ones.

He appears to be doing nothing different to other BP users except the mess. Looked like a grease monkeys workshop floor by the time he had finished!

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Strange

I use pre-lubed wads and don't have that problem.

Jim
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch