Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multi stroke pneumatics: legal for 6 yards?

I know I'm an outsider, but for what it's worth, I would have thought a single stroke would have an advantage over a multi-stroke up to at least 10m, as the multi guy would be more knackered, so there would be no real reason not to have them in the same class.

The pneumatic/CO2/PCP thing is somewhat different as PCPs are in a financial class apart from more "ordinary" guns. Also there are the earlier generations of world class pneumatics and CO2s still around. Not really a fair comparison to a Umarex or Gamo P45. Difficult to come up with a suitable rule, for sure and again, as an outsider, I wouldn't pass an opinion on this one.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    I know I'm an outsider, but for what it's worth, I would have thought a single stroke would have an advantage over a multi-stroke up to at least 10m, as the multi guy would be more knackered, so there would be no real reason not to have them in the same class.

The pneumatic/CO2/PCP thing is somewhat different as PCPs are in a financial class apart from more "ordinary" guns. Also there are the earlier generations of world class pneumatics and CO2s still around. Not really a fair comparison to a Umarex or Gamo P45. Difficult to come up with a suitable rule, for sure and again, as an outsider, I wouldn't pass an opinion on this one.
    I agree, Derek.

Pray DON'T remain an outsider, though: come and join our comps!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Chewy is offline Can't believe i missed this last night...
    Not trying to cause arguements here, but debate is good right?

In my past competition experience (minimoto racing in a couple of national championships, and the unofficial "world championship"), your skill level is MUCH more important than the price of your kit. Yes, there will be differences between a top level PCP pistol and my Beeman P17, but you would have to be really good with a pistol to make those differences count. To put it bluntly, if you were that good, you'd most likely be at the top of the leader board anyway.

The only pistols i would say had a case for being seperated from the rest of the recoilless pistols would be CO2, due to the temperature sensitivity and potential pressure changes during rapid firing.

Perhaps spring, pneumatic, and CO2 would be better categories?
    Weihrauch HW99S .177 - Pardini P10 - Crosman 2240 - Beeman P17 .177 - Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm .177 - Umarex Beretta 92FS .177

Cheer's Derek, that has just saved me some typing.

I say if you want to use a multi pump in the SSP comps be my guest, we run the comps for fun, and if we can help you have fun with the pistols you have then we are doing what we set out to do. these aren't official comps so we can bend the rules as much or as little as we like, we allow bb guns in the co2 competitions, they aren't as accurate as a pellet but if your enjoying shooting them, then what the heck.

If anyone would like to join in the competitions, please e-mail me at membership@umarexboysclub.co.uk and i'll sort out your membership for you.

atvb

Jason
    Last edited by cookie; 18-08-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

[QUOTE=cookie;3737194]

QUOTE]

Cheer's Derek, that has just saved me some typing.

I say if you want to use a multi pump in the SSP comps be my guest, we run the comps for fun, and if we can help you have fun with the pistols you have then we are doing what we set out to do. these aren't official comps so we can bend the rules as much or as little as we like, we allow bb guns in the co2 competitions, they aren't as accurate as a pellet but if your enjoying shooting them, then what the heck.

If anyone would like to join in the competitions, please e-mail me at membership@umarexboysclub.co.uk and i'll sort out your membership for you.

atvb

Jason
    Seconded!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    Not trying to cause arguements here, but debate is good right?

In my past competition experience (minimoto racing in a couple of national championships, and the unofficial "world championship"), your skill level is MUCH more important than the price of your kit. Yes, there will be differences between a top level PCP pistol and my Beeman P17, but you would have to be really good with a pistol to make those differences count. To put it bluntly, if you were that good, you'd most likely be at the top of the leader board anyway.

The only pistols i would say had a case for being seperated from the rest of the recoilless pistols would be CO2, due to the temperature sensitivity and potential pressure changes during rapid firing.

Perhaps spring, pneumatic, and CO2 would be better categories?
    Your right about skill being 95% of the game, Chewy.

Paddy handles the templates and scoring and he's up to his ears in alligators with what he has now, so I don't recommend we add or modify any existing categories.

Also, we should keep the present 4 categories, because a lot of our shooters own 2-4 different types of pistols, and like to enter multiple categories.

Jim

I'd vote for keeping the categories as they are and allowing multi-pumps in the SSP class. I like entering all four with different pistols.

I'm not convinced that only the top shots would notice a big difference between a match PCP and a SSP (P17/HW40/PR45/Nemesis etc) though. I think in general although a novice won't be unlocking the ultimate accuracy potential, they would score higher with a good match pistol due to the grips, balance and trigger.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    I'd vote for keeping the categories as they are and allowing multi-pumps in the SSP class. I like entering all four with different pistols.
    Seconded!

Agreed?

Jim,

[quote=Adam77K;3737300]I'd vote for keeping the categories as they are and allowing multi-pumps in the SSP class. quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Seconded!

Agreed?

Jim,

Multi pumps in SSP is just fine with me, by the time they get to shot #8 they would have pumped the pistol nearly 70 times for full-power shots.

Puffing for breath, collapsed on all fours gasping for air and puking up.

I owned a Sheriden 20 multi pump rifle years ago. Very nice piece of equipment, but that friggin' pumping, jeez.

Good ol' HW40 for me

Good luck, Phil

[QUOTE

Multi pumps in SSP is just fine with me, by the time they get to shot #8 they would have pumped the pistol nearly 70 times for full-power shots.

[/QUOTE]

Now Phil, aren't you exaggerating, just a little?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post

I owned a Sheriden 20 multi pump rifle years ago. Very nice piece of equipment, but that friggin' pumping, jeez.

Good ol' HW40 for me

Good luck, Phil
    You wouldn't (unless you're a masochist or an exercise freak) put 10 pumps into a pistol for paper punching at 6 yds! I used to have a Crosman 1322 and it shot very nicely on 3 or 4 pumps. I didn't have a chrono back in the day but I'd guess it was about 2.5 fpe on 3 pumps and nearly 4 fpe on 4 pumps. You can put 3 pumps in a Crosman in the time it takes to put one in a HW40 because the effort is lower.

One of these days I'd like to pick up a nicely modded 1377 with a metal breech and scope rails. When I had one I had a scope rail that slid over the barrel and grubscrewed in place but because the barrel was a push fit into the plastic breech it could rotate too easily.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

I have a Crosman 1377and 4 pumps is just about right for 6 yds target shooting, the performance at that power level is very similar to my Gamo Compact (except the trigger on my compact is streets ahead of the 1377).

As you have to pump up the beast before shooting doesn't this make it a precharged pneumatic (as opposed to a single stroke pneumatic)

...he says stoking up the debate........
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post
    ...As you have to pump up the beast before shooting doesn't this make it a precharged pneumatic (as opposed to a single stroke pneumatic)...
    Wrong

In effect, even with an SSP, you have pumped her before shooting - just given her 1 stroke instead of many stroke

Cheers, Mark
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

Quote Originally Posted by jefL View Post

...he says stoking up the debate........

Stop it.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Talking Cap'n William is a fisherman

Cap'n William is a fisherman
    Otherwise why else does he keep opening cnas of worms?

Quote Adam 77K
    "I'm not convinced that only the top shots would notice a big difference between a match PCP and a SSP (P17/HW40/PR45/Nemesis etc) though. I think in general although a novice won't be unlocking the ultimate accuracy potential, they would score higher with a good match pistol due to the grips, balance and trigger."
    Hmmm This from a man whose trigger is the only one I know of to work on a negative pull weight when competition rules specify something like a kilo.

Quote jefl
    "As you have to pump up the beast before shooting doesn't this make it a precharged pneumatic (as opposed to a single stroke pneumatic)"
    The difference being that a PCP will get you more then 1 shot from a charge, (And now for another can of worms), but I don't KNOW of a multi shot multi pump up gun.

Target Bunny
    (Currently the ONLY competitor using a multi stroke pistol.)
    Cookie - - - DOWN boy.
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!