Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question of silence

A question of silence

I my self use a Logun Silencer on AA s410 and have found it to be resonably quiet, but has anyone got and use these new carbon fiber ones they claim to be quieter? I think there are a couple of different makes and what out fits are you using them on? do they do the job?

thanks in advance

Scarecrow Guest
    If someone could develop a silencer that stopped bugs' head going THWOCK when you hit it, they would make a mint.

sneaky beaky Guest
    i quite enjoy the "thwock" in a morbild kinda way his mates dont though strangely?

just about to put a ripley on me rapid and apparently thats about as good as it gets... had advice on sandwell c/f from fellow bbs'er and he said no change from evo.

bar are in process of making one for rapids with a few extra baffles on the end, but it will be a few weeks of trial and error before launch, will put a thread on here for both when tested

The Birdman Guest
    I have replaced my Logun silencer with BAR's CF one on my s410 and it is a touch quieter. Everyone remarks how quiet it is. Being at the other end all i hear it the hammer etc, so it is very good.

John Henry 1 Guest
    Birdman
    I, hopefully have a S410 coming fitted with a Logun silencer, is the difference that you have with the CF worth it with it being only a touch quieter.
    cheers

Having tried different silencers, on different guns, I find it really makes no difference whatsoever!
    If you hit a bunny in the head, the noise from that will cause the rest of them to leg it for at least half hour anyway!

How some of these figures of 30 plus rabbits a night are achieved is beyond me

Perhaps foam tipped pellets are the answer
    After all that is said and done - More is said, than done!

RochdaleLad Guest
    I've got a Ripley FAC moderator on my 12fpe S400... Standing about two yards away all you hear is the hammer striking the valve, and maybe a small "pfft".

It does sound a bit louder when your head is glued to the stock though - try standing back a bit while someone else fires the rifle.

Snapshot. Guest
    bsa, if you can make it to Ealing on Tuesday evening you can compare yours against my S410 with SFS CF silencer.

Jonathan

I shoot a Steyr LG100FT. It has a short barrel so the discharge signature is very noticable.

Having made a converter, I have threaded a Logun on the front and the signature has reduced dramatically.

There is still some noise from the internals and there is still a signature but way beter than the untamed muzzle.

The POI has only dropped a couple of mil as well.

Tried a SFS carbon too. Have to say it took the volume down another notch at the friendly end of the equation, but I dont know if the target ends is quieter. Hoewever the POI was a few mills lower and shifted Left.

On the up side, the shift in the POI was consistant, so if you shot all the time, you could sort the matter out.

There is however a good argument to put some weight at the tip of the barrel as the extra weight helps reduce the effect of muzzle flip.

This can be a useful characteristic so long as it doesnt totally destroy the balance of the rifle.

Motto as always - buy the best you can afford.

Steyr
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I have a Phoenix Phantom CF silencer on my Hornet multishot and for a silencer without sound deadening material only baffles, it's VERY quiet, well worth the £40

Is anyone else using one of these?

Norm

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    For silence.....see Jim Edge!!!!!!!!

If you cant see him.....you will not hear him either

The Dogs Danglies of Silencers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Gary C Guest
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by kiriak
    Having tried different silencers, on different guns, I find it really makes no difference whatsoever!
    If you hit a bunny in the head, the noise from that will cause the rest of them to leg it for at least half hour anyway!

[ Don't agree. It depends on the state of alert of the rest of them. If they know u are about but not sure where they will be ready to run. If not you may get a couple of more with the same sequence. Also depends how often they have been shot, as does the down time between coming out again

How some of these figures of 30 plus rabbits a night are achieved is beyond me

Perhaps foam tipped pellets are the answer

QUOTE]
    [/Agreed. The only time I've ever got more than 17 on foot was at a totally infested shoot with unshot rabbits. Buildings covered approaches and allowed a big bag. By the 2nd night they were much warier and by the 3rd they were spooky. A car and a lamp were the order then. I'd like to bet a coupl emore nights and they'd be legging it at the sound of the engine
    Last edited by Gary C; 09-09-2004 at 02:03 PM.

The Birdman Guest
    johnhrhodes, If your deciding between the 2 as an inistial puchase the BAR CF silencer is a bit quieter i would say but the main factor is its so much lighter.

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.
    The only time I've ever got more than 17 on foot was at a totally infested shoot with unshot rabbits
    What about at Crewkerne that time, you got about 30 then didn't you??

Gary C Guest
    Hi Alex

I think we got 30 between you, me, Dave and Sammie. In all honesty most of mine were about 65 yards and were young and stupid.

In essence I agree with Kiriaks assessment of bunny head crack. The main issue I have with not using a silencer is that you scare them in the next field as well. With a silencer you don't scare the one "just around the corner".