Thread: Help needed on Diana G80

Help needed on Diana G80

Hi All ,
    This is my first thread on here and i hope some off you can give me some insight into this rifle.
    My father gave me this rifle several years ago and i know nothing about it. I have tried google etc and nothing.
    It is a .177 and has the name on top of the action.
    Any info would be great, like when and where was it made (it states Great Britian)
    How powerfull was it.
    I have looked at Chambers website and they do not have the G80 diagram.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Regards
    Simon
    Last edited by BigBluey; 18-08-2009 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluey View Post
    Hi All ,
    This is my first thread on here and i hope some off you can give me some insight into this rifle.
    My father gave me this rifle several years ago and i know nothing about it. I have tried google etc and nothing.
    It is a .177 and has the name on top of the action.
    Any info would be great, like when and where was it made (it states Great Britian)
    How powerfull was it.
    I have looked at Chambers website and they do not have the G80 diagram.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Regards
    Simon
    Hi Simon and welcome

Your G80 was made by Millard Brothers (MILBRO) at their plant in Motherwell Scotland.
    Production was from 1976 to 1982 after which the company went into liquidation.
    The G80 had several different stocks fitted so this would narrow the production date of your gun even further.

The velocity when tested by Airgun world was 598fps in .177".

Spares are shown by Chambers in the Milbro section and John Knibbs has spares for these as well.

All the best Mick

Welcome Simon,

Can't really add any more than's been said, except that they were a direct competitor to the BSA Meteor which you may have heard of....but expect a certain "Mod" to add his thrupence worth....

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post

Can't really add any more than's been said, except that they were a direct competitor to the BSA Meteor which you may have heard of....but expect a certain "Mod" to add his thrupence worth....
    You mean me ... Ha ha. First, as has been said, welcome to the BBS Simon, especially this hallowed collectors section (best bit imo as I always say), and yep agree with most of what has been said, except that the G80 was actually pitched against the BSA Meteor's bigger brother, the BSA Mercury, and the Webley Hawk MkIII, when launched in the late 1970s.

Further, the Milbro Diana G80 (to give it it's full name), became the basic blank canvass donor model for one of the first commercially available ranges of tuned air rifles to be produced in Britain, namely the Airgunaid G80 Special.

The Milbro G80 action was also used as the centre piece of Airgunaid's later foray into custom gunning, namely the Airgunaid SP-5 .20 cal Hunter, which with a Walthar barrel, was the first commercially available .20 air rifle to be manufactured and marketed, here in the U.K. . Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 18-08-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: to ad the bit about the SP-5.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hi Gareth

I must try to get hold of my Brothers Airgunaid G80 and have a look at the internals to see how they were altered from standard.

I should imagine the leather piston seal was replaced with something more modern but what about the mainspring?

The Mainspring is the same size as a Meteors, so there wouldn't have been much choice when the guns were produced.

All the best Mick

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    The Mainspring is the same size as a Meteors
    The breech seals were/are the same size, too . Yep, open your brother's Airgunaid up, as would love to know. My money is on a man made material piston washer, an up-grade spring (poss an earl ox), and lots of polishing . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    The breech seals were/are the same size, too . Yep, open your brother's Airgunaid up, as would love to know. My money is on a man made material piston washer, an up-grade spring (poss an earl ox), and lots of polishing . Atb: G.

From memory it's a round section spring Gareth.

Also from memory I think Airgunaid burned down before the OX arrived.

All the best Mick

I had one of these-bought it in 1980 from the sportsman in Devon while on holiday.My was a G79-same as 80 but with planer stock and cheaper.
    My mate had the G80 and we bought tuning kits from the airgun world and hoped for miracles.They were both really accurate and counted for loads of small game.I remember at how easy it was to mount a scope on ,compared to the mercury I had just sold.