Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSA Superstar piston size?

edbear2 Guest

BSA Superstar piston size?

Does anybody know the diameter of the above please, (at the largest points)..Also would be interested in buying a new/used piston/seal assembly if anybody has one that they are not using.......I thank you

P.S. I know chambers has them new.....was hoping to get one a bit cheaper!

i have one off a super sport .piston an seal.i think theese are the same as the superstar if you can find out if they are i will sell you it.atb coddy.

I just bought one from TW Chambers a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they still have some stock?

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coddy View Post
    i have one off a super sport .piston an seal.i think theese are the same as the superstar if you can find out if they are i will sell you it.atb coddy.
    Hi mate......could you measure the diameter please (if you have a mike or vernier)....as it is the size that's important......It's for another gun totally than either of these

Ed, Will it fit in that Standard then? I wouldn't be surprised if it did with a few waves of your welding torch.
    atb
    dogsbody

i dont have none of the above to check the size of the piston diametre.sorry bud. wat do you want the piston to fit if not the bsa..atb coddy

edbear2 Guest
    Thanks to all who have helped with this, and the kind offers ......unfortunately, the seal/piston will be too big for what I want to do......I need one 28mm in size.....so may try here......an interesting site to explore!

http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/...age/251485.htm

i have a bsa mercury and had to make a new piston head for it a while ago if my memory serves me well it was 28mm i will check my little book but i think that is right
    S400 Carbine

is it the hole piston or just the piston head you are after.. just checked my book bsa mercury inside cylinder diameter is 28.2 mm.. if its just the head you need why not just buy a ptfe piston head for a tenner off t.r.robb then stick it in a drill and rub it on some fine abrasive paper until it fits.. oh and hi coddy got that cocking arm sorted in the end mate. seems the only thing that would fix it was a very expensive tig welder at my mates work place even then he said it was one of the worst metals he had ever welded
    S400 Carbine

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Sniper View Post
    is it the hole piston or just the piston head you are after.. just checked my book bsa mercury inside cylinder diameter is 28.2 mm.. if its just the head you need why not just buy a ptfe piston head for a tenner off t.r.robb then stick it in a drill and rub it on some fine abrasive paper until it fits.. oh and hi coddy got that cocking arm sorted in the end mate. seems the only thing that would fix it was a very expensive tig welder at my mates work place even then he said it was one of the worst metals he had ever welded
    Thanks mate, I will look into it (seal).......re. the welding.......Its cast steel, and yep, its a pain to weld.......If it gives any problems, next time tell the guy to preheat it a bit with a gas torch, and use an alloy steel / dissimilar rod.....he will know what that is......the re-blue may also highlight the welds, but there is nothing that you can do about this I am afraid, short of making a new one from scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Sniper View Post
    is it the hole piston or just the piston head you are after.. just checked my book bsa mercury inside cylinder diameter is 28.2 mm..
    Hi Ed

Not wanting to upset Mr Sniper but the Mercury and Airsporters are 1 1/8" (28.575mm) piston seal diameter.

As the Airsporter is a variant of the pre war Standard then it could be that BSA used the same size tube for the cylinder ?

There is an Airsporter/Mercury (same part no) piston for sale on "it looks nothing like the photo when you get it" Bay.

Just thought of something else, the webley MK3 piston is the same OD as the Airsporter and the sear rod is nearer to the Standard shape. I have a spare MK3 piston kicking about if you would like dimensions I can measure it in the morning.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    The webley MK3 piston is the same OD as the Airsporter

Sorry I was wrong

The cylinder size for the Webley MK3 is 27.95mm ID, piston tail OD is 27.8mm.

All the best Mick

edbear2 Guest
    Mick.......thanks for all your time mate.This is the one that will work according to J.M........

http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/...1485/43075.htm

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Mick.......thanks for all your time mate.This is the one that will work according to J.M........

http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/...1485/43075.htm
    No problem Ed

The Webley MK3 piston was out of the gun anyway so it was no trouble to measure up.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Ed

Not wanting to upset Mr Sniper but the Mercury and Airsporters are 1 1/8" (28.575mm) piston seal diameter.

As the Airsporter is a variant of the pre war Standard then it could be that BSA used the same size tube for the cylinder ?

There is an Airsporter/Mercury (same part no) piston for sale on "it looks nothing like the photo when you get it" Bay.

Just thought of something else, the webley MK3 piston is the same OD as the Airsporter and the sear rod is nearer to the Standard shape. I have a spare MK3 piston kicking about if you would like dimensions I can measure it in the morning.

Hope this helps

All the best Mick
    hi mick absolutely no chance of offence everyday is a school day when it comes to this always glad of your knowledgeable input
    S400 Carbine