Thread: tips on setting up a scope ...

sneaky beaky Guest

Wink tips on setting up a scope ...

has anyone got handy tips on bedding a scope please
    (bar superglue ) as i have one fitted to a rapid, its clamped nice and tight but always seems slightly off on the horizontal plane when i come to re use it, so i level it, use it, put it away, level it, use it (you get the picture)... this battle has been going on for months, AND IM GONNA WIN! with your help that is TIA

Barrie_G is offline It could be worse...............................
    Its very unlikely that the scope is moving enough in the mounts for you to visually see the difference, unless your also finding big dents on the scope.

So its more likely that you are canting the rifle and that you are doing this in a slightly different way each time you use the rifle therefore noticing the difference.

if you use a spirit level on the back of the action so that you know when the rifle is level and then use a plumb line viewed through the scope whilst keeping the action level with the spirit level to get the vertical axis right this will sort you out.

kevG Guest
    have you tryed using a blumb bomb at say 20 yrds,then a bubble on the action,most if not all rapid actions do not sit true in the stocks,try two bubbles one on the rear action and one one the rear flat of stock,you will find it could be as much as half a bubble out.i doupt your scope will be moving.
    kevG

kevG Guest
    beat me barrie

kevG

sneaky beaky Guest
    have tried all the usual, plumb bob, spirit level ect, the scope is brand new and un-maked. the problem seems to be different tensions in the screws that after a while pull the scope slightly off... never had this problem before!? maybe its my eyes that need bedding
    Last edited by sneaky beaky; 05-09-2004 at 12:39 PM.

kevG Guest
    it can also depend on how you look down the scope and eye position,ive just had a pig of a job seting a deben mil pro up and ive done loads

kevG

sneaky beaky Guest
    Originally posted by kevG
    it can also depend on how you look down the scope and eye position,ive just had a pig of a job seting a deben mil pro up and ive done loads

kevG
    strangely, its a sidewinder... think im just going to find a happy medium. bit fo a pain in the bumb though