Hi,
I was really disheartened by the failure of GB to even appear in the Air Gun events in Greece, I looked in vain every day for our flag to show, even if it was last. As live near Brunel University and have visited their sports halls and seen what marvelous facilities they have, and two years ago I saw the Director of Sport about the possibility of starting Olympic Airgun shooting, nothing.
I wrote again after the Olympic Games, he did not even reply, I think he has been 'got at' by the local plod, so I wrote to the reps of the students union to see if there is any interest,
Correspondence below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Stuart,

I wrote these messages to Jane Dunkley and one to Paul Dimmock the Director of Sport at the Brunel. As you can see, I feel very strongly on the sorry state of British Shooting Sports and think that given the opportunity many fine competitors could be found at Brunel for the next Commonwealth and Olympic Games. You have students from all parts of the world, including no doubt some from the top shooting countries who won many Gold medals in Greece. As I have stated before, the type of person that wins Gold in these events is the quiet introverted kind, more interested in Yoga and Zen who has complete control of their emotions and can remain calm under stress, the only other sport you have is Archery in this category.
Perhaps a notice in the Campus paper might find if there is any interest.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Jane,
Why am I not surprised at not getting any reply from Paul Dimmock. Could you please send me an address of the students Union, I am determined to do something about the dreadful state of our shooting sports and the fact that young people who are not inclined to the 'grunt & groan' sports are denied the opportunity to participate in National and International Competitions.
I feel that Dimmock could be influenced by the local Police to be 'unhelpful' to any demand for the Legal Olympic sport of Air Pistol/Rifle at Brunel, and perhaps the demands of the Students will be listened too.
Bob.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thu 26/08/2004 18:38
To: Jane Dunkley
Cc:
Subject: Air Pistol/Rifle

Hello Jane,
About two years ago, I asked the then Director of Sport about the possibility of starting 10m Olympic Air Pistol/Rifle at Brunel, with no result.
After watching the UKs dismal showing at the Olympics in the shooting sports, in fact no show at all in most events. I realise that most cartridge shooting has been made illegal, we could still compete in 10m Air/rifle. It needs a prestigious organisation like Brunel to lead the way in this most demanding of all sports, unlike most running, jumping, throwing, fighting sports, shooting demands mental control and control of the heart rate, calmness and breath control are essential, the better you shoot, the more difficult it is to stay calm so there is a lot of medical knowledge to be learnt from shooting.
The fact that it is shot at only 10m into a little metal box about 7" x 7" means that very little space is needed, which I am sure you could find. I would like to see the British flag once again, in the shooting results in the next Olympics, you could have the next Gold medal winner in Brunel and not know it.
I have many years experience in Air Pistol shooting and being retired and living in Hillingdon would be only too pleased to help get it started.

Bob Goghan.
Life member NRA
Founder Life member UKPSA
Ex Full Member British Pistol Club.