Thread: Antique Firearm collecting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    People collect for several reasons from enjoying owning and in some cases using the peice
    Hi Jeff

I like a real piece of history, repro's may be more accurate but they don't have the appeal of something that was actually there.

I don't shoot as much as I used to but I can't give up my ML clayshoot once a month and I just added a breech loading flintlock rifle to the heap that seems to warrant a bit of shooting. I have been comparing notes with a bod in America and we seem to have exactly the same problems with it so I know it's not just me.

I went on a wild gun buying splurge when I discovered my antique fetish meant I could buy anything I wanted without paperwork. I now have the paperwork and most everything from pocket pistols to cannon. I have also become a lot more picky, the only gaping hole in my collection is I don't have a blunderbus, have to get a blunderbus

Robin

This is great. It sounds like there are quite a few collectors here.

I myself used to collect vintage airguns like they were going out of fashion but around three years ago I saw a lovely double barrelled percussion overcoat pistol circa 1850 and knew I just had too have it. I have never looked back! (I still have a fair few airguns, particularly the good old Webley pistols).
    I always try and save enough money so that I can get a decent piece rather than a ropey effort. It’s better to buy one good piece than two or three rough pieces.

My collection stands so far at:

FLINTLOCK
    A stunning brass barrelled blunderbuss pistol by Walker, London (circa 1690)
    A pair of brass framed and barrelled pocket pistols Joseph Heylin, London
    An all brass over & under pistol with bayonet by Wheeler, London
    A large officers pistol with fish tail grip by Tipping, Bath
    A long sea service pistol with numerous ordnance markings (circa 1803)

PERCUSSION
    A stunning double barrelled overcoat pistol (no name, marked London but Birmingham proofs)
    A pocket pistol by Joseph Manton
    A top-hat pocket pistol be Henry Nock
    Colt 1860 Army revolver (I just had to have one)

PINFIRE
    A small closed frame pistol. Fully engraved and nickel plated. Cased with accessories

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post

I myself used to collect vintage airguns like they were going out of fashion but around three years ago I saw a lovely double barrelled percussion overcoat pistol circa 1850 and knew I just had too have it. I have never looked back! (I still have a fair few airguns, particularly the good old Webley pistols).
    I always try and save enough money so that I can get a decent piece rather than a ropey effort. It’s better to buy one good piece than two or three rough pieces.

FLINTLOCK

PERCUSSION
    A stunning double barrelled overcoat pistol (no name, marked London but Birmingham proofs)

PINFIRE
    A small closed frame pistol. Fully engraved and nickel plated. Cased with accessories

Some nice pieces there, do you have a camera?
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Some nice pieces there, do you have a camera?
    Yes. I will take some decent pics and post a link in due course. Taking pictures and researching the pieces is part of the fun of collecting I think.

Robert Wheeler London

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post

FLINTLOCK

PERCUSSION

PINFIRE
    Hi. Robin
    I see you have a pistol by Wheeler I have an India pattern musket by him it is in very good condition still retaining about 90% of it's original brown.
    It was made about 1799 and has Tower private proof marks.
    The lock is engraved Wheeler on the tail and has as a swan neck cock, the lock is engraved with a crown over GR.
    The usual 39" barrel in .750" calibre and carries inspectors marks of a crown over 99 so the musket was in the service of the military, I suspect it was purchased by the Tower armouries when their stocks became that low that they were forced to go to the gun trade and purchase any suitable weapons that the trade had in stock as demand had out striped supply due to the Peninsular war with France and demands for weapons from both India and Canada.
    The stock is free of any cracks or damage and retains most of it's original finish, the ram rod, ram rod guides and end cap are original and of the standard India pattern.
    Some different non standard furniture is fitted to this musket as the side plate is the same as the Baker rifle and the butt plate top tag is shorter and is rounded rather than pointed.
    What puzzled me was that the stock is branded with two lines of letters and numbers about 3/4" high the first line is clearly the name J. Simpson the second line is XXXBURN188 the X's are only part letters due to the shape of the stock is it a date or regiment number say the 1st 88 which are the Rangers, the stock has a scorch mark on it from a camp fire?
    Robert Wheeler started as a Gunmaker in 1797 in London changed his company name to Wheeler and Son in 1808 was still working in 1838-39 when he purchased 39,000 India pattern muskets from the Tower armouries out of their stock of over 250,000, he was also a gun supplier to the Hudson Bay Company in Canada.
    If anyone has any suggestion as to what the second line branded into this musket means let me know.
    The musket was out of New England in the USA when I purchased it.
    Jeff

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Hi Jeff
    the only gaping hole in my collection is I don't have a blunderbus, have to get a blunderbus

Robin
    But, wouldn't the muzzle ADD another "gaping hole" to your collection?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone