Thread: Antique Firearm collecting

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MH Under the microscope

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Fronteria, do you know if your carbine had previously been saw cut?
    I got my fingers burned (figuratively speaking) on a MH MkII Artilery Carbine I bought from a stall at the Antique and Classic Fair at Bisley a few years ago. The gun wasn't fabulous, but it looked the part and the bore was nice and firing pin in tact. I forked over the requisite amount and took my purchase home. Over the next few months I collected all the stuff together to re-load for it and once I'd done that I got it put on my ticket for use. The first shot I fired was a light load and went off well enough. All seemed well untill I came to eject the empty case; it was stuck fast. After alot of hammering and swearing I got the case out and saw a strange ridge accross the case neck that looked like the negative impression of a groove cut in the chamber. Sure enough, the carbine had been saw cut in the past right at the front of the nox form to make it a D.P. rifle. What some one had then done was weld a half washer in the cut and smooth off the weld on the outside. I have to say externally the job was very good and it was impossible to tell it had been done. I think the only thing that prevented that washer blowing out was the case. If it had been cut further up the barrel I recon it could have burst, or at least blown the washer out vertically.
    So when I look at a MH now I always check the top, internal surface of the chamber with a small dentist's mirror.
    Hi. Harry
    I think it's quite possible that the barrel had been cut and welded but we couldn't see any evidence of it which makes it all the more dangerous.
    Before we sent the Martini Henry to proof the barrel and action went under a microscope as we have come across cut and welded barrels and actions before we did not see anything that aroused our suspicion of some bodge up having been done on the gun, to be honest with you both me and the gunsmith were tempted to fire the gun and not get it proofed but common sense prevailed.
    I have some photographs of the gun after it failed proof but don't know how to put them on the site for you to see so you can make up your own mind.
    If anyone can let me know how to do it please let me know.
    jeff
    Last edited by Fronteria; 23-08-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Photographs but don't know how to put them on site.