Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Antique Firearm collecting

Antique Firearm collecting

Hi all

I just wondered if there are many of you who collect original antique firearms.
    I have a been collecting for just over three years and have managed to put together a modest collection of nice pieces, both percussion and flintlock. My oldest piece dates to the late 17C.
    I just thought it would be nice to build a network of like minded individuals where we can share advice and compare items etc.

Just a thought

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    I just wondered if there are many of you who collect original antique firearms.
    Well, there is me, but my collecting has gone a bit silly. Not a lot of 17th century, one over/under and one CW musq't barrel. Earliest piece, Wars of the Roses

greenshoots Guest
    i have a martini cav and a snider cav carbine .......

viv

Antique collecting

Hi. All.
    I have be collecting for about 40 years my collection covers from 1750 to 1900 and includes India pattern and various other muskets, flint and percussion Shot guns by Henry Nock etc, pepper pot revolvers, various other single and double barrel pistols, bayonets, swords, flasks both powder and shot, shot and powder measures, cartridge reloading tools, nipple wrenches etc, military issued tools from India pattern to SA80. military issue fighting knives and folding knives, etc etc.
    Air rifles and pistols: air gun collection includes: Webley Service with all three calibre barrels and other Webley's to 1980, Colchester Gamekeeper no: 00012, W.R Pape Newcastle, several BSA's from around 1906 to 2000 several types of Webley air pistol from 1930's to 2005 including some from their museum when they went bust.
    If you are starting a circle or group on antique militatia and arms collecting count me in.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Fronteria. have just approved your 2nd BBS post as above. Always good to welcome a fellow Chelmsfordian to the forum. I hope you enjoy your cyber time here . Atb: Gareth.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I consider myself a wannabe or maybe-someday collector. I do have a pinfire revolver, and a Bulldog revolver.

I would want to learn more before I start investing much money into it: for one thing, learn what type interests me the most, since I'd want to specialize. Just haven't hit on THE specialty yet!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    Hi. All.
    I have be collecting for about 40 years my collection covers from 1750 to 1900 and includes India pattern and various other muskets, flint and percussion Shot guns by Henry Nock etc, pepper pot revolvers, various other single and double barrel pistols, bayonets, swords, flasks both powder and shot, shot and powder measures, cartridge reloading tools, nipple wrenches etc, military issued tools from India pattern to SA80. military issue fighting knives and folding knives, etc etc.
    Air rifles and pistols: air gun collection includes: Webley Service with all three calibre barrels and other Webley's to 1980, Colchester Gamekeeper no: 00012, W.R Pape Newcastle, several BSA's from around 1906 to 2000 several types of Webley air pistol from 1930's to 2005 including some from their museum when they went bust.
    If you are starting a circle or group on antique militatia and arms collecting count me in.
    Hi, Fronteria! That's quite a collection(s).

I'd also be proud to be part of any collectors' group or circle we can get started.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 21-08-2009 at 06:16 PM.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

greenshoots Guest
    i have narrowed my collecting to cav rifles in the transition period from musket to bolt action only about 30 years 1860 - 1890 kind keeps my spending down.

viv

Smallbore military training rifles and their fullbore counterparts generally pre-WWII. All FAC rated and held on "collect and occasional use".
    It's a shrinking list but I name TMR1 foxing rifle in .22/250, Tikka M55 Supersport 6BR, Tikka M65 308, Tikka M65A 308, Tikka M590 243, Sako Finnfire Range .

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I consider myself a wannabe or maybe-someday collector. I do have a pinfire revolver, and a Bulldog revolver.

I would want to learn more before I start investing much money into it: for one thing, learn what type interests me the most, since I'd want to specialize. Just haven't hit on THE specialty yet!

Jim
    Hi Jim
    People collect for several reasons from enjoying owning and in some cases using the peice, tracing the history of it this is pretty straight forward with military weapons as they are very often marked with the regiments initials and dated by the store keeper unless somebody has tried to enhance! the value and have cleaned the the lot off, the real effect is that they have reduced the value as every mark and ding is part of its history.
    Some are purchased for pure investment which is risky as they tend to know little about what they are purchasing if you follow a antique gun through the system which I have done on several occasions when I have been beaten at an auction you will find that the retail price will be made up from the price paid plus the auctioners commission, the sum total is then doubled to make up the retail price.
    What a shock the invester gets when they are trying to sell it five years later when the best offer is less than 75% of the original purchase price.
    A word of warning if you are going to use an antique gun get it reproofed no matter how good it looks.
    Earlier this year I got a Martini Henry carbine which looked in very good condition with a very good bore so I thought I would put it on my ticket and use it.
    A gunsmith friend checked it over and found it visually sound in in both bore and action so it was sent to the proof house where it passed the view but failed proof when the barrel was blown completely off and in half two inches beyond the chamber the forend wouldn't have held the pressure so I would been injured was it worth the £30-00 cost to proof test it?
    How much value do you put on your hand or fingers say for arguments sake £10-00 a finger or £30-00 a hand?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi Fronteria. have just approved your 2nd BBS post as above. Always good to welcome a fellow Chelmsfordian to the forum. I hope you enjoy your cyber time here . Atb: Gareth.
    Thanks Gareth
    Do you belong to the local rifle club?
    If you do you will see my Fronteria or red Porsche there on most Mondays and every Wednesday.
    Regards Jeff

For the most part pre WWII exposed hammer gallery rifles by Winchester and Colt are my particular poison.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    People collect for several reasons from enjoying owning and in some cases using the peice
    Hi Jeff

I like a real piece of history, repro's may be more accurate but they don't have the appeal of something that was actually there.

I don't shoot as much as I used to but I can't give up my ML clayshoot once a month and I just added a breech loading flintlock rifle to the heap that seems to warrant a bit of shooting. I have been comparing notes with a bod in America and we seem to have exactly the same problems with it so I know it's not just me.

I went on a wild gun buying splurge when I discovered my antique fetish meant I could buy anything I wanted without paperwork. I now have the paperwork and most everything from pocket pistols to cannon. I have also become a lot more picky, the only gaping hole in my collection is I don't have a blunderbus, have to get a blunderbus

Robin

This is great. It sounds like there are quite a few collectors here.

I myself used to collect vintage airguns like they were going out of fashion but around three years ago I saw a lovely double barrelled percussion overcoat pistol circa 1850 and knew I just had too have it. I have never looked back! (I still have a fair few airguns, particularly the good old Webley pistols).
    I always try and save enough money so that I can get a decent piece rather than a ropey effort. It’s better to buy one good piece than two or three rough pieces.

My collection stands so far at:

FLINTLOCK
    A stunning brass barrelled blunderbuss pistol by Walker, London (circa 1690)
    A pair of brass framed and barrelled pocket pistols Joseph Heylin, London
    An all brass over & under pistol with bayonet by Wheeler, London
    A large officers pistol with fish tail grip by Tipping, Bath
    A long sea service pistol with numerous ordnance markings (circa 1803)

PERCUSSION
    A stunning double barrelled overcoat pistol (no name, marked London but Birmingham proofs)
    A pocket pistol by Joseph Manton
    A top-hat pocket pistol be Henry Nock
    Colt 1860 Army revolver (I just had to have one)

PINFIRE
    A small closed frame pistol. Fully engraved and nickel plated. Cased with accessories

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    This is great. It sounds like there are quite a few collectors here.

I myself used to collect vintage airguns like they were going out of fashion but around three years ago I saw a lovely double barrelled percussion overcoat pistol circa 1850 and knew I just had too have it. I have never looked back! (I still have a fair few airguns, particularly the good old Webley pistols).
    I always try and save enough money so that I can get a decent piece rather than a ropey effort. It’s better to buy one good piece than two or three rough pieces.

My collection stands so far at:

FLINTLOCK
    A stunning brass barrelled blunderbuss pistol by Walker, London (circa 1690)
    A pair of brass framed and barrelled pocket pistols Joseph Heylin, London
    An all brass over & under pistol with bayonet by Wheeler, London
    A large officers pistol with fish tail grip by Tipping, Bath
    A long sea service pistol with numerous ordnance markings (circa 1803)

PERCUSSION
    A stunning double barrelled overcoat pistol (no name, marked London but Birmingham proofs)
    A pocket pistol by Joseph Manton
    A top-hat pocket pistol be Henry Nock
    Colt 1860 Army revolver (I just had to have one)

PINFIRE
    A small closed frame pistol. Fully engraved and nickel plated. Cased with accessories

Some nice pieces there, do you have a camera?
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.