Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
A word of warning if you are going to use an antique gun get it reproofed no matter how good it looks.
Earlier this year I got a Martini Henry carbine which looked in very good condition with a very good bore so I thought I would put it on my ticket and use it.
A gunsmith friend checked it over and found it visually sound in in both bore and action so it was sent to the proof house where it passed the view but failed proof when the barrel was blown completely off and in half two inches beyond the chamber the forend wouldn't have held the pressure so I would been injured was it worth the £30-00 cost to proof test it?
How much value do you put on your hand or fingers say for arguments sake £10-00 a finger or £30-00 a hand?
Jeff
I have Mk.III Snider 3-band. It's my third one, and I never had any of them reproofed before shooting them.

What I did do with each one was fire a first round with a 10% overload compared with what I expected to use, supporting the gun in a jury-rigged rest and firing it with a string. I've got away with that so far.

Proofhouses, I believe, use a 25% overload and that seems to me too big a risk to take.

Regards,
MikB