Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique Firearm collecting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Antique Firearm collecting

Hi all

I just wondered if there are many of you who collect original antique firearms.
    I have a been collecting for just over three years and have managed to put together a modest collection of nice pieces, both percussion and flintlock. My oldest piece dates to the late 17C.
    I just thought it would be nice to build a network of like minded individuals where we can share advice and compare items etc.

Just a thought

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    Well, there is me, but my collecting has gone a bit silly. Not a lot of 17th century, one over/under and one CW musq't barrel. Earliest piece, Wars of the Roses

greenshoots Guest
    i have a martini cav and a snider cav carbine .......

viv

Antique collecting

Hi. All.
    I have be collecting for about 40 years my collection covers from 1750 to 1900 and includes India pattern and various other muskets, flint and percussion Shot guns by Henry Nock etc, pepper pot revolvers, various other single and double barrel pistols, bayonets, swords, flasks both powder and shot, shot and powder measures, cartridge reloading tools, nipple wrenches etc, military issued tools from India pattern to SA80. military issue fighting knives and folding knives, etc etc.
    Air rifles and pistols: air gun collection includes: Webley Service with all three calibre barrels and other Webley's to 1980, Colchester Gamekeeper no: 00012, W.R Pape Newcastle, several BSA's from around 1906 to 2000 several types of Webley air pistol from 1930's to 2005 including some from their museum when they went bust.
    If you are starting a circle or group on antique militatia and arms collecting count me in.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Fronteria. have just approved your 2nd BBS post as above. Always good to welcome a fellow Chelmsfordian to the forum. I hope you enjoy your cyber time here . Atb: Gareth.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I consider myself a wannabe or maybe-someday collector. I do have a pinfire revolver, and a Bulldog revolver.

I would want to learn more before I start investing much money into it: for one thing, learn what type interests me the most, since I'd want to specialize. Just haven't hit on THE specialty yet!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi Fronteria. have just approved your 2nd BBS post as above. Always good to welcome a fellow Chelmsfordian to the forum. I hope you enjoy your cyber time here . Atb: Gareth.
    Thanks Gareth
    Do you belong to the local rifle club?
    If you do you will see my Fronteria or red Porsche there on most Mondays and every Wednesday.
    Regards Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    Hi. All.
    I have be collecting for about 40 years my collection covers from 1750 to 1900 and includes India pattern and various other muskets, flint and percussion Shot guns by Henry Nock etc, pepper pot revolvers, various other single and double barrel pistols, bayonets, swords, flasks both powder and shot, shot and powder measures, cartridge reloading tools, nipple wrenches etc, military issued tools from India pattern to SA80. military issue fighting knives and folding knives, etc etc.
    Air rifles and pistols: air gun collection includes: Webley Service with all three calibre barrels and other Webley's to 1980, Colchester Gamekeeper no: 00012, W.R Pape Newcastle, several BSA's from around 1906 to 2000 several types of Webley air pistol from 1930's to 2005 including some from their museum when they went bust.
    If you are starting a circle or group on antique militatia and arms collecting count me in.
    Hi, Fronteria! That's quite a collection(s).

I'd also be proud to be part of any collectors' group or circle we can get started.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 21-08-2009 at 06:16 PM.
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

greenshoots Guest
    i have narrowed my collecting to cav rifles in the transition period from musket to bolt action only about 30 years 1860 - 1890 kind keeps my spending down.

viv

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Well, there is me, but my collecting has gone a bit silly. Not a lot of 17th century, one over/under and one CW musq't barrel. Earliest piece, Wars of the Roses
    What do you have from the Wars of the Rose, Robin?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    What do you have from the Wars of the Rose, Robin?
    I have possibly the oldest surviving lock mechanism. The Royal Armories have dibs on it after I gasp my last

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    Hi all

I have a been collecting for just over three years and have managed to put together a modest collection of nice pieces, both percussion and flintlock. My oldest piece dates to the late 17C.
    I just thought it would be nice to build a network of like minded individuals where we can share advice and compare items etc.

Just a thought

Nick
    Thanks for starting a great Thread, Nick!

Jim

Photographs of Martini Henry proof failure

Thanks for those pictures Jeff. You are indeed a wise/lucky man. That would have hurt.

My India Pattern Musket (Brown Bess 3rd model)

Hi. Collectors
    My India Pattern made by Robert Wheeler, Tower private proof marks, Crown over 99 (inspectors mark or date?) so probably a private purchase by an officer, lock engraved on tail with Wheeler, Crown over GR under pan, Swan neck flintcock.
    Some of its furniture is none standard, side plate is the same as the Baker rifle, trigger guard and butt plate are both different from the regular India pattern musket.
    Purchased out of New England USA could it be a musket that was captured by US forces during the 1812 war between USA and Canada?
    What puzzles me is that the stock has been branded any suggestions as to what the brand means is it the regiment maybe 1st 88th who are the Rangers, the date, the place?
    A few photographs at available at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fronteria/
    My webley service rifle photographs are also on there.
    Regards Jeff