Thread: anyone with auction experience?

anyone with auction experience?

i was trawling the net trying to find a classic rifle to fill the gap in my collection and came across this:

http://hartleysauctions.co.uk/listin...e=&sub=WEAPONS

i dont have any experience of auctions and am interested to know if it is a good way of buying? i believe these people do condition reports but would still be unsure without seeing the item with my own eyes.

the 'original 50e' in particular has caught my attention!

edbear2 Guest
    The thing to do is to go and view condition if possible....and find out the commission rate / costs.....These can add up to 20% to the "hammer" price.......ie. assuming the commission is 15%........a £200 bid ends up costing you £230 +!!...I have bought guns from auctions, but I am very strict.....I work out the added extras, and then this gives me my maximum bid price.........I stick to this no matter what, as it is easy to think "oh, it's only another £10.....then the other guy(s) bid, and its a slippery slope!!

You will need to register, ( to receive a bidders number) this can be done on the phone, possibly on line, or in person.Give them a ring, and explain your situation, they are very helpful, as it is in their interests!......Also, you don't even have to attend the auction, you can let the company know your maximum bid, and the auction will proceed as normal, and you will win the item if there is no higher bid in the room, you can also bid on the phone. Then there will be a time allowed after the auction for you to collect/pay.

If you have never been to one, I would say go and enjoy yourself, don't get carried away, and you may well get a good deal (maybe not as good as you would have by posting it on here for all to see)

Any, very best of luck if you go, and look in the papers for more, as airguns often pop up in local auctions amongst the antiques and other stuff.......THESE are normally the real bargains, as there is normally little interest (I got 2 nice prewars for under £100 this way once)

I've always wanted to go to this auction. It seems every time they hold the auction there are a few air rifles/pistols...but it may as well be on mars because there's no way i can get to it.

Example of items they've sold

http://www.auction-net.co.uk/viewAuc...452&offset=400

edbear2 Guest
    Are these sealed bid auctions?........see to remember seeing that somewhere about the Bedford ones

thanks for the help edbear2

i have called them and they were very pleasant (probably thought i was a halfwit with my lack of knowledge!) and it is an open auction. i have had a condition report on the items im interested in and am awaiting some photos in addition to those on their website.

depending on what i am doing at the time i will leave a bid before the sale if i cant make it on the day. im getting excited.

Don't forget that now you've given the heads up on here, there will be another 2000 bids going in!!!
    db

i hope the price i may inevitably pay for seeking advice doesnt leave me penniless.

auctions

I sold my militaria collection and was pleased with the outcome BUT be aware of costs
    insurance
    entry fee
    commision
    etc
    atb Glyn