Thread: Cold Bluing.

Cold Bluing.

Hi All,
    I know it's down to the man. But in your opinion what is the best make of cold blueing please?
    Marsh.
    Last edited by Marsh.; 21-08-2009 at 09:52 PM.
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

gun blue

hi the best i have used is HOPPE'S gun blue the 2nd best birchwood casey regards mark

Hi Marsh, I've used Philips,Bisley,Abbey,& Birchwood casey! But
    best one yet by miles is Tetra gun Liquid Blue ( #Bay)!
    Alan.

gun blue

hi, best so far is birchwood cream and liquid. just ordered Tetra as this is new to me, will be interesting to see how it performs!

I found the Birchwood casey to be a bit poor.

Thanks Alan for the tip on the Tetra
    AMT Lightning Winchester 250
    Berretta Silver Pigeon II ... Nikko Daiwa 12g
    AA TX200 .177 Prosport .22 HW 90 .22 Venom .22

Ive just received some of the Tetra and tried it on an old barrel. Compared to Birchwood Casey it IS better !

Thanks for the tip.

I dont like cold blueing - I usually wear a jacket.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 24-08-2009 at 03:05 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

edbear2 Guest
    This stuff gives results like no other I have seen.......the downside is that you cannot, as far as I can find, get it outside the US

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...XPHO_BLUE_reg_

The TETRA is very good ! The more applications the darker it gets and does'nt streak unlike others! Just stripped and reblued an entire very shabby Webley Falcon with TETRA and now it looks great!
    Iv'e found that if you take time and polish to a mirror finish and degrease with cellulose thinners the results are quite remarkable ! I am going to try NICKERSON'S PROFESSIONAL COLD BLUE big bottle 250cc about £10 (see on #bay) just a nats less in my local gun shop, It looks as it could be the same sort of stuff as the one edbear2 refers to !
    Alan.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

Blue job

Quote Originally Posted by alan m View Post
    The TETRA is very good ! The more applications the darker it gets and does'nt streak unlike others! Just stripped and reblued an entire very shabby Webley Falcon with TETRA and now it looks great!
    Iv'e found that if you take time and polish to a mirror finish and degrease with cellulose thinners the results are quite remarkable ! I am going to try NICKERSON'S PROFESSIONAL COLD BLUE big bottle 250cc about £10 (see on #bay) just a nats less in my local gun shop, It looks as it could be the same sort of stuff as the one edbear2 refers to !
    Alan.
    Sorry, couldn't resist the title. Alan could you let me know what kind of results you get from the Nickerson stuff as compared to the Tetra. I'll shortly be attempting to reblue the Crosman 1300 my mam bought me for Xmas when I was 11. Seeing as she's dead, the gun has some sentimental value and I don't want to make a dog's dinner of it. After that it'll be off for an overhaul to get it performing well again.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Will do but it might be for a while till my next project comes up !
    try the TETRA ! Alan.

''

hav a look at clever quick browning on youtube i know its not blueing but it look almost black after two or three coats i had some an thought it was the best by far Ade,

Thanks all. I will have a go with the Tetra Gun Liquid Blue. I can get it from a gun shop in Newcastle (no postage). First I will have a go at the buttplate.
    Regards Marsh.
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Sorry, couldn't resist the title. Alan could you let me know what kind of results you get from the Nickerson stuff as compared to the Tetra. I'll shortly be attempting to reblue the Crosman 1300 my mam bought me for Xmas when I was 11. Seeing as she's dead, the gun has some sentimental value and I don't want to make a dog's dinner of it. After that it'll be off for an overhaul to get it performing well again.
    is that nickerson stuff any good? is it the one you dilute 1 part bluing to 3 parts water?
    Can you keep it mixed and use again?

ATB
    Sniper

Hi marsh
    just tried the TETRA blue and found it very good, better than birchwood
    but it should be called TETRA BLACK as that is how mine turned out even
    so its a loverly black.
    P.S. Henry Krank of pudsey has been using nickersons for years and he uses
    it neat when i said your suposed to dilute it he said oh i never read the label.
    cheers john