Thread: Airsporter Mk5 Rearsight needed.

Airsporter Mk5 Rearsight needed.

Anyone got one that needs a good home please?

I'm refurbishing a Mk5 Airsporter and have everything except the rearsight.

Would swap a brand new Theoben Evo silencer for a good one or cash if you'd prefer.

Thanks chaps.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

BSA Mk5 Rear Sight

Hi 'Airsporter Ist', sadly I do not have the sight that you seek. However, it was that exact item that started me collecting air-rifles. I had returned to UK after eight years overseas and, nostalgically, I bought a nearly new airsporter at an estate sale. I could not place why it was so different to the memories of the MKI rifle I had sold when departing UK years earlier. After reading Hiller (or it might have been in one of his newsletters), I discovered to my horror, that the sight was made from some plastic muck named 'Kenmetal'. When I removed it, I could see that although it visually resembled metal, it was in fact closer to cheese in its consistency. After that, I began collecting 'all steel' classic underlevers. Good luck with your search, perhaps another BSA model metallic sight might fit? MarcDV

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Anyone got one that needs a good home please?

I'm refurbishing a Mk5 Airsporter and have everything except the rearsight.

Would swap a brand new Theoben Evo silencer for a good one or cash if you'd prefer.

Thanks chaps.
    Hi Paul, Looking on Chambers, It shows the MK 5 to be the one with the pin through ?
    I have this one, Only the MK 6,
    Pic-
    To the best of my knowledge, No Airsporter had a Mazac (Al-Zn) rear sight, Either Steel ( Very well made ) or the plastic ones which were fitted to almost everything.
    Will be away for a while, Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, No Airsporter had a Mazac (Al-Zn) rear sight, Ged.

The Airsporter S did Ged.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Hi Paul, Looking on Chambers, It shows the MK 5 to be the one with the pin through ?
    I have this one, Only the MK 6,
    Pic-
    To the best of my knowledge, No Airsporter had a Mazac (Al-Zn) rear sight, Either Steel ( Very well made ) or the plastic ones which were fitted to almost everything.
    Will be away for a while, Ged.
    Thanks Ged. The Mk5 is the one with the pin through it.

I'll keep on looking and failing that I'll probably end up making one. If so i'll be asking for photos of same next!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcDV View Post
    Hi 'Airsporter Ist', sadly I do not have the sight that you seek. However, it was that exact item that started me collecting air-rifles. I had returned to UK after eight years overseas and, nostalgically, I bought a nearly new airsporter at an estate sale. I could not place why it was so different to the memories of the MKI rifle I had sold when departing UK years earlier. After reading Hiller (or it might have been in one of his newsletters), I discovered to my horror, that the sight was made from some plastic muck named 'Kenmetal'. When I removed it, I could see that although it visually resembled metal, it was in fact closer to cheese in its consistency. After that, I began collecting 'all steel' classic underlevers. Good luck with your search, perhaps another BSA model metallic sight might fit? MarcDV
    Thanks for your response. I also hate the plastic and cheap diecast stuff. The gun I'm working on also had a plastic underlever catch - as you can imagine that was already broken when I got it. Fortunately, i managed to get one of those in steel.

No doubt in my mind that the Mk1 and Mk2 Airsporters, at least, were far superior in build quality than the later models. I have my original Mk2 in 0.22 which was my first ever gun at the age of 13 (hence the name "Airsporter1st") and I also have a practically Mint Mk2 in 0.177 which was supposedly one of 10 speciially commissioned by a major London store in 1957.

They are great guns and if BSA were ever to reproduce them - to a decent standard i.e. all steel and walnut stocked - then I'm sure they could sell every one they made. (Not sure whether they'd make a profit though!)
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Airsporter

Hi again 'Airsporter Ist'. If BSA were to do a limited run of Mki's, I'd be right there in the queue. Price no object. Surely the most elegant of all air rifles. Over here in the US, Smith & Wesson firearms have begun doing just that. They have made several new runs of discontinued classics (the Dirty Harry Model 29 revolver for example). Oh well, wishes....
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by MarcDV View Post
    Hi again 'Airsporter Ist'. If BSA were to do a limited run of Mki's, I'd be right there in the queue. Price no object. Surely the most elegant of all air rifles. Over here in the US, Smith & Wesson firearms have begun doing just that. They have made several new runs of discontinued classics (the Dirty Harry Model 29 revolver for example). Oh well, wishes....
    Marc
    They seem to be doing it successfully with cars too - the Mini, Fiat 500, Mustang, Camaro, Charger etc. so why not other icons - like the Airsporter Mk1?

The important thing would be not to compromise on quality and even to upgrade e.g. buttoned piston, delrin spring guide, good quality walnut etc. I'm sure people would pay Air Arms Prosport (which is not a bad looker itself) money for the nicest looking underlever ever!!!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Rebuild completed now chaps - just need a sight to be able to shoot it!!!!!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.