Thread: "Survivors" 1975 Air rifle I.D.

"Survivors" 1975 Air rifle I.D.

Gentleman.
    Recently a customer leant to me, on C.D. the first series of the classic 1975 BBC drama “The Survivors”. I enjoyed it 35 years ago and I am enjoying it again. Most of the firearms in this series that I have observed to date have been run of the mill 12 bore side by side shotguns and a few sporting rifles plus one No 5 Jungle carbine.
    However in the 6th episode that I watched last night Gregg was carrying what I am sure is an under lever air rifle. My first thoughts were that it was a Falke 80/90. A rifle that I am familiar with but the shape of the butt plate and forend just don’t ring true.
    I don’t have the know how to capture frames from the disc but have taken a few rather hazy shots of my lap top screen. Anyone want to have a crack at trying to I.D. this rifle?
    Sorry about the poor picture quality.
    Barry

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...rsrifle003.jpg
    http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...rsrifle009.jpg
    http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...rsrifle010.jpg
    http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...rsrifle015.jpg
    http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...rsrifle014.jpg

SUrvivors Rifle

Interesting puzzle, Sadly, not a Falke 90 unless there is a variation in fore ends that I do not know about. More likely an Original (Diana, Gecado) 50 variant. I'm afraid that Originals are not my field however I recall seeing photograph on the BBS of a model 50 with an extended forend. I can see the similarity with the Falke where the stock joins the receiver, the lines are very similar. Well spotted and good luck in your search. Doubtless Galvin will put you right shortly.
    MarcDV.

Hi Barry,

Looks like an Original/Gedaco 50E to me...the early varient...

How's your Falke 70 going.....

Diana/Original 50 was also one of my first ideas but they do not have the sloping end of the receiver, a bit like the BSA Airsporter/Stutzen. The forend of the stock does look a lot like one of the 50 models, though, the top of the line 50 E (or was it M?)

Cheers,

-Topi

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I remember that series, lots of guns for a ten year old to "spot". Much better than the latest version of the story released last year. The main group were far too virtuous to have anything to do with nasty guns!
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

I watched the whole lot on BT Vision recently, just a heads up
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Looks more like a full bore rifle to me t.b.h.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

I doubt that it is a firearm Paul. The lack of any thing to cock it with is more obvious on the video then the pictures. On the video one can also see the concealed cocking lever. Interesting choice for the BBC. Good posers rifle.

Thumbs up

MY thoughts are, definatly original but the target 50 m??,
    Seem to remember repairing one inn 177. john
    snarepeg.

Looks like this one

--------------------------
    Frank

The survivors in the new series didn't have a gun between them at first. What a bunch of muppets.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

Female lead

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphoon View Post
    The survivors in the new series didn't have a gun between them at first. What a bunch of muppets.
    The main female character in the new series really got on my t*ts with her annoying mumsyness. She was much better as the gangster's daughter in the film "Big Man" starring Liam Neeson and Billy Conolly. She even got her kit off in that one. Very pert indeed in 1990!
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

The wife deleted the last episode of the recent series so I never found out what happened in the end
    It was rather PC tho and totally unrealistic, the first thing you would need in such a situation is a means of defence!
    Muppets the lot of em!

It got a bit more exciting in the last episode. The Max Beesley character had the good sense to get his hands on a riot gun and have a shootout with one of the baddies. Then the annoying Scots woman got taken away in a mysterious black helicopter. No collectible airguns in it though, sadly.