Thread: bsa cadet help

bsa cadet help

hi guys this is my first venture into vintage air rifles.
    i will start off by saying im very interested, a bit apprehensive (cost wise) and enthusiastic to get my bsa cadet gleaming again. so enevitably (spellings not my strongest point) i have a number of questions for all you enthusiats to anwser.

1. i would like it reblued - where is the best and cheapest place to have this done?

2. i think it will need a complete clean, greasing and service, where is the best and cheapest place to have this done?

3. i am going to need spare parts such as stock screws etc, however chambers are sold out and i am unsure if they will have them again, any ideas?

4. there are a couple of cracks in the stock, i am going to refinish the stock with tru oil (because i have surplus left), but was wondering how best to deal with the cracks?

any help would be much appreciated on this one guys.

regards

dai

1 & 2 - Manchester Air Guns in Failsworth. They might be able to help with 3 as well.

3 John Knibbs or Midland Gun Supplies - or keep watching the sales sections on here!

4 Try rubbing in PVA adhesive with your thumb until it comes out of the other side, then clamp tightly.

Good luck - its very addictive you know!!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

1st off, if the stock is cracked, try to get a replacement.
    The cost of re-blueing will often put it above it's market value and any etching will be lost.

It's not all good news to doo up an old rifle, as many collectors will not be prepared to purchase it after being re-furbished and also it can cost more than it will be worth on the open market.

I, on the other hand am happy to re-furbish old rifles, but have little interest in their market value.

I don't think this has helped much, has it!

Regards Mike

A good way to fix a cracked stock- If you can access the crack from the inletting drill a hole from the inlet side of the stock through the crack.Do not drill right through to the other side only make a blind hole.Find a dowel of the right size[a nice tight push fit].You are now ready to fill the hole with glue-many types are suitable.When this is glued you can simply tap the dowel in-this will force the glue out-filling the crack.Leave to dry and trim off dowel,which you dont see anyway.

cheers

cheers guys top help there, how much do you think a bsa cadet in ok condition is worth.

it fires really well and cocks, no missing parts.

cheers guys.

Quote Originally Posted by daimaesteg View Post
    cheers guys top help there, how much do you think a bsa cadet in ok condition is worth.

it fires really well and cocks, no missing parts.

cheers guys.

I recently paid £150 for a minter with perfect etching

Hope this helps so I would guess £60 - £80

Mike