Thread: Synthectic seals for pre war BSA's ??

edbear2 Guest

Synthectic seals for pre war BSA's ??

Have just recieved from JM, a few seals as shown on an earlier thread;

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/show...33#post3745433

seals here;

http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/...1485/43075.htm

(by the way......a super company and guy to deal with, can't recommend him highly enough!)

Anyway......I am assuming that they are retained by a tapered button in the center, with a screw going through that........In the case of say a 39" model D, It looks like it is a simple job of turning up the button, and using an original washer set retaining screw, with a counterbore/countersink to suit the bolt head shape!.....meaning no change to any part of the original gun!!! Now this material is all new to me, so I am assuming no more 3-4 drops of green oil every 500 pellets?.....can anyone help please with the correct assembly/running lube for this type of seal?

I am away shortly for a while, so wont be able to make the parts/post any findings......but will set to it in 4 weeks time and say how I get on, plus make a note of any problems, if any, plus post a dimensioned drawing of anything I make on flikr in case anybody else is interested. I have also got some teflon piston pin inserts, so intend to have a go at a button job, and also some acetal/delrin for spring guides etc. (may be over to see you JIM for advice on the last item mate, when I get back, if thats O.K.please).The first victim will be the 45" CS I have with the parker hale sights......and if I can get a quality pecar or similar 10x scope whilst away, that will be going on as well!.......I really just want to give the gun the best chance to show what it can do with some modern do-dads inside, and the ability to actually see the target past 30 yards........If I manage to get it all sorted, I will give it it's baptism of fire at rivi later on this year

edbear2 Guest
    Managed to get on with this project.......Has been a bit of a learning experience as is my first go at anything like this.........The result.......a very smooth, quiet cocking and firing cycle, ...BUT.....I used a light wipe of moly on the seal, and to start with the chrono was showing anything between 673 - 740 fps......(I want consistency, not power)........after 200 shots or so, and switching pellet types, it seems to have settled down a bit with a 20 shot string only varying from 704-715 fps......used r10 match for the zero session, although for longer ranges I am considering a slight increase in power and a switch to my normal ftt's or JSB's.

The stock, complete with BSA no. 8 sight, and brass parker element holder, and the fs22 foresight that were on this CS, now grace Scott's L model, and Helen is getting to grips with using aperture sights

No real decent photos of complete gun, as the light was going, but some pics of internal work here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7622571667325/

Not convinced that the synthetic seal is a vast improvement over a well run in, and settled down genuine one........I shot a 10 string through another L model I have.....a little used gun that is not a powerhouse, but is a tackdriver at short - medium range......the result ......

514 fps

All with r10's...not bad eh?

Hi Eddie, the rifle looks great with the Weaver scope, on you did a classy job there it really looks authentic. How did you fix the mounts to the gun and are they really from a B.A.R ?

Dave...

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Dave.....thanks mate........to fit the mount, I drilled and tapped the air chamber and used the supplied screw set.......plus loctite and activator on the mount surface.......To be sure! (the holes are well outside the piston stroke, and anyway, I have turned down the piston + the screws are flush inside)..

Mount is this one.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=81561

mine (bought from a large shop) cost about £10 .....for a well made, windage adjustable at back, and pivot on front, all steel mount....(bought whilst over in US......the prices over there make you cry when you get back here)

This is my second attempt at a scoped prewar BSA......here is a .22 standard which uses a contemporary scope......but although it looks more a match on the gun, it is only a lyman 4 power, and the Ward mtg. system (really a rimfire set up) is proving a bit unreliable zero wise......this time round I went for a mount and scope combo that is centerfire rated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7614265676462/

OK that's it now I have to have a scoped pre war BSA

I have very close friends in New York, I try to get over there to stay with them as often as health and finances permit. Not this year unfortunately because of health issues, but we are able to talk most days through skype on the pc.

I just showed him the BAR link and he said he would order one and ship over to me if I want one.

Will I need to order any other parts to complete the job,or can a normal set of scope rings fit the base

Drilling and tapping is far beyond my capabilities. Is there any other way of fixing the base, modern adhesives perhaps?

Sorry to be so inquisitive ...Thanks for all your help....Dave...