Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: underated guns in youre collection

underated guns in youre collection

Evening , i was pondering this thought earlier today whilst cleaning some of my collection, what are the most surprising and underated guns you have!. For me it would be my .22 Beeman/ Webley C1 bought from Kev Shapley of this forum to start with. I fitted a modest JSR 6X32 ir scope to her in medium mounts and tried it at club on Last Weds. It was hitting evreything out to 40 yards with Air Arms Feild. Any missises were my fault not the gun. 2nd my Hamerrli model 2 .177 again bought from this forum via Slug Gun. Its not very powerful, i would say 7ft pounds but boy is she accurate!, not put a scope on her yet but out to 25 yards with open sights deadley, low recoil and a good barrel make a difference. I think the almost crazed search for power killed it of in early to late 70s and 80s. 3rd My Anschutz 335, bought for a bargin price from my good friends at Allsports in Glos, .22 early model it had a bent barrel, straitend and fettled by Zedman and Doz Faulkner , it now knocks out 11ft pounds with Air Arms Feild. Its got a reprofiled spring guide and a ptfe piston washer which has settled her down niceley. Very accurate with plenty of power. Whats youres! many thanks to btdt for advice on ptfe washer for 335, to Zed and Doz for doing the work and all mentioned in this post. Top blokes all.

Underated guns

Hi Fatman
    I would say first my Cometa fenix 400 which shoots within 25mm at 30 yards second my Theoben fenman and next most of my old prewar BSA's and all of them i use for hunting too
    Bernie

Good choices Bernie, anyone else!

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    The Anschutz LG335 .177 cal. These often get ignored ... Okay, they are very plain to look at, and only shoot around the 10.5ft.lb mark (which imho is ample ), but they are truly superb to shoot, have wonderful open sights, and build quality to rival any you may care to mention. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

with you on that one Gareth, 335 in .177 often came with a Williams peep sight, i could never aford one as a kid and yes the open sights are some of the best on any of my German guns. atb

underated

for me also the webley/beeman C1 i have two one in each calibre really strong rugged little guns and as powerful and accurate as anything currently produced

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    for me also the webley/beeman C1 i have two one in each calibre really strong rugged little guns and as powerful and accurate as anything currently produced
    Hi MallyAlly
    Yes i have one too with the striaghthand stock and as you say rugged or built like a tank
    Bernie

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Question

Wasent the C1 a Vulcan in a shotgunnish style stock???

Quote Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
    Hi R.P
    Yes it was

Quote Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
    almost mate
    it was actualy meant to be a copy of the stock on a winchester rifle
    for fast handling designed by Dr ROBERT BEEMAN /is a vulcan action though ( with a short barrel)

Quote Originally Posted by fat man View Post
    with you on that one Gareth, 335 in .177 often came with a Williams peep sight, i could never aford one as a kid and yes the open sights are some of the best on any of my German guns. atb
    The 335S came with the Williams peep sight and no back sight facility and a shorter mainspring.
    The club also has a very tidy one for 10m shooting.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

My HW 55T venom with open sights

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.

Talking Thanks for confirming what I thought the C1 to be gents

Anyway as to underated rifles in my collection(my collection only runs to two by the way) I'd have to say both rifles in my collection are underated.The rifles in question being the Webley Longbow,and the Webley Raider both .177 and both British made of course.Smart folks know just how good the Raiders are and allmost everyone who has tried my Longbow really like her and rate her highly.So my entire collection is underated

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

my use of airguns is for the most part in a working environment with some back garden plinking ;as a consequence i have worked through a wide range of makes and calibres,the obvious big hitters are known to all on here so i will leave that but recently i had need to upgrade my smaller rifle used in confined spaces by chance a .177 fenman came up, the quality speaks for itself as soon as you pick it up,what really impressed me was its accuracy considering its compactness ;its groupings were very good and packed a punch to match.those theoban fans will no doubt wonder why my surprise ,i always felt they were overpriced now i know there is a very good reason why they are not cheap.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Anshutz 335 as others have said. Good build quality, ABT, adjustable breech jaws, effective breech lock, reasonable trigger, good sights, good scope rails, super barrel decent stock, no irritating manual or (worse) semi-auto safety. Shame that the power is lower than ideal for hunting. Also Webley pistols: written off as collectables or plinkers but the training pistol par excellence.