Thread: Malvern Mercury fest!

edbear2 Guest

Malvern Mercury fest!

Just got back in from the giant fleamarket.....can't feel my feet as have been pacing round since 7.30am......A good selection of stuff there today....from memory, pre-war bsa breakaction, T prefix standard, S prefix standard, L model, airsporter club model, cadet and cadet major, at least 4 mk1 meteors, a supersport, airsporter mk 6.......and no less than 8 mercurys .....most were sans sights, or the usual spray paint and cuprinol jobs, but there was a cracking, unmarked and very little used, complete with stock bolt cover in the pistol grip, mercury "S" in .22 cal for £140.....I was a little bit late getting there (I am normally queuing at 7 am.....so was greeted by the sight of one happy shopper walking out with a very nice webley supertarget, another guy with a heavy gem, plus at least 4 others walking round with full gun slips.. and when I got to "my man" who normally has the old stuff......he had been cleaned out by two old welsh guys, who always seem to find the good old stuff ......Other guns seen were a webley service mk2, several junior sized webley, original, diana rifles, and a couple of tin plate dianas, plus about 6 various marks of webley pistol......loads of old pellet tins as well.......(now need a bigger coffee table as well as picnic table!)

Now for the unbelievable story part......as I was looking at the t prefix BSA, and chatting about bell target etc. with the seller......A well spoken chap leaned over and said to the seller "excuse me....what do these old BSA's go for?".....the seller said "from £100 - 200 depending on if they are in good condition etc."

Obviously my ears pricked up and I asked the guy if he was a collector....
    "Oh no, I just have one to sell, It's been on the wall for donkeys years, and my wife wants it out of the house"

me....."What does it look like, and is there a prefix in front of the serial etc."
    Him..."Oh I don't know......It has a 3 on it......but I think someone has changed the sights as they swing up at the back"

If you remember my last debacle at this place, you can be assured that I have the guys number (local)...and am hopefully going round tomorrow!..

As usual, there is a hitch.....I am flying out tomorrow to work away, and the guy's last words were "call me....I SHOULD be about"..... .......so watch this space!

Hi Eddie,

Hope it turns out to be a No.3 Bore. Wouldnt that be fantastic !! Good luck, hope you pull it off

Better still if you can get it for £100-£200........ We will wait and see, fingers crossed for you

Lakey

My fingers are crossed for you.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Where is this fleamarket of which you speak?
    hoplophobe

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    And when, and how frequent?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Ah, Google is my friend. Next fair Sept 20th.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Fingers crossed it's something exciting Eddie.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

edbear2 Guest
    Met the guy this morning, a very interesting and well travelled older guy. He is a leather-worker of some ability as well, so ended up (as usual) yarning for an hour.......He wants to sell the gun , but has had some bad experiences with vehicles etc. by advertising on line, or in the paper so is wary of people coming to his home.

The gun turned out to be a T prefix standard .22 (3 hole block) in pretty much zero, grey finish, with a set of early pattern Lincoln style "low profile" sights, the foresight showing some signs of being glued on, woodwork was average, with a hairline crack in the normal place,stock bolt wooden cap present, but one screw missing....felt smooth and powerful to cock....The reason I have given so much detail about the gun is that I promised to get in touch with him again when I get back in a months time, with regard to helping him dispose of it.... and will be posting lots of pics, chrono figure, and will also have a look inside to get a really good idea of it's condition.......so it will be on here for a valuation, and later, for sale in a few weeks time....

I asked about the "3 stamped on it" comment he made at malvern......he said I must have mis-heard him as he said "T" stamped on it............wishful thinking on my behalf.... never mind, I may always bump into that other old boy again one day
    Last edited by edbear2; 01-09-2009 at 10:16 AM.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Ah, Google is my friend. Next fair Sept 20th.

Worth a look if you are in the area, or within sensible travelling distance.....normally hundreds of pitches, inside and outside;

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_zXvvP_p9Hps/SF...icture+042.jpg

This pic shows a different event......but the recent one filled the area from the tree lined road, to the left hand path of the two that are to the left of the sheds, so approx half the size of the event in the photo......the best stuff is normally outside, with practically anything you can think of for sale besides (normally) numerous air guns.....the large show sheds are also packed out with stuff......It's really chance and luck if you get to the bargains before the regulars.....normally, there is a queue to get in at the start time of 7.30!......don't be afraid to ask sellers if they have guns, as one or two keep them in the cars if they are not regulars there, although it is very free and easy with lots of old bayonets, swords, old bows etc.......Saw a couple of cartridge belts and a scope on one old boys table once and said "I dont suppose you have any old air rifles please?".......he had a cracking cadet major, and a nice webley mk3 (late model) on the front seats of his pick-up, which I got for £90 ish the pair......of course you still get the normal bent barrel, sightless meteors (the most abused gun in history contender?).....and the seller will be asking £60.....But there have been some rare and bargain items there over the last 5 years........Unfortunately, I will be away for this one, so no tea and biccies for any BBS people, (as I can see the place if I climb up behind my house).....A very relaxed day, plenty of refreshments, £2.50 entry, and who knows, there may be another Giffard 8mm rifle lurking there for £80......no, I missed it as usual, but overheard two guys bemoaning the fact that they had seen the old wooden box it was in, but walked past

P.S.......besides the Webley pistol, other stuff I have got there in the last couple of years include; 2x H the lincolns, 1 L model, 2 x imp mod. D's, Tornado, BSA breakdown model, Mk 1 meteor, Mk 1 airsporter, Haenels 303 and 302, haenel XX, bsa scorpion pistol, a NICE stirling hr81, Mercury S,........in fact many of the guns in my flikr photo's now I think of it!.....many pellet tins, and gunslips, plus old magazines and publications which I buy for the old adverts.
    Last edited by edbear2; 01-09-2009 at 05:49 PM.