Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webley tempest

webley tempest

is there anywhere i can buy a brand new webley tempest as id rather not go second hand and i was wondering can you attatch an accessory rail to it like you can with the webley hurricane? cheers

No and no.
    Morally flawed

According to a posting (1/9/09) on the Webley Owners club website, the Tempest is due to be available for sale again. Only limited information is posted, so I suppose you might have to wait a while for any official confirmation, (the official Webley site is still not working)

Tazz

I would look out for a good second hand one you do not need to worry that it will go wrong or brake they are so strong nothing much ever gose wrong with them but if something should you can get parts for them and they are verry easy to repaire.

ive just been talking to webley on the phone & they said that the new tempest should be ready around christmas as its celebrating 100 years of the webley design.
    BSA Airsporter mk2, HW35E, Webley Hurricane

Quote Originally Posted by Mattventon View Post
    ive just been talking to webley on the phone & they said that the new tempest should be ready around christmas as its celebrating 100 years of the webley design.
    ...about 15 years early surely?

Maybe they are on the Islamic calendar seeing as I assume they will be making them in Turkey
    Morally flawed

Question Attachment rail

Hang on a minuit Jerry.
    IF. the new stuff is the same as the original then the difference between a Hurricane and a Tempest is barrel length and nothing more so the original scope rail will fit on one.
    Target Bunny.
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

The back end of the tempest is cut down compared to the hurricane. They cast all the bodies as hurricanes, and machined off part of the rear to make tempests:

http://www.airguns.net/reviews_webley_tempest.php

There is nowhere to attach a scope rail.
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    The back end of the tempest is cut down compared to the hurricane. They cast all the bodies as hurricanes, and machined off part of the rear to make tempests:
    That is something that I never knew, Jerry. Thank you.

No point in trying to buy a new Tempest. Any that are left are expensive collector's items that will become too valuable to use. Whether they will start making them again we will have to wait and see (but I hope they do). Buy a used one. They last practically forever if you do not abuse them.

Red face Mea Culpa

Thank you for that Jerry.
    I never laid both of them side by side and as I have the "Hurricane" I never really checked. I also suspect that the barrel is actually the same length as the Hurricane foresight attachment has a 5/8inch deep "well" at the front. That is to say the barrel ends 5/8inch before it appears to. So I suspect that the other major difference is in the length between the sights giving a longer focal length to make them more accurate. Mind you, the rear sight is better since it is adjusted by a click wheel.
    Thanks and Regards
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

I also suspect that the barrel is actually the same length as the Hurricane foresight attachment has a 5/8inch deep "well" at the front.
    I think you are right about that, although I'm not sure without seeing them side by side or checking in Gordon Bruce's book (which might cause some surprise at work )

Either one is a great pistol.

ATB
    Morally flawed

Had mine since I was 14 (43 now) still going strong - second hand is fine if they have been looked after.
    Ed - HW77 mk2 .22 + Vmach kit - HW80 mk1 .22 + Vmach kit - Webley Tempest 1979 -
    https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk

Tempest

I had one in the 90s and sold it, then bought a minter off the AGF last year for a bargain price. I keep thinking of selling it when I see some new shiny thing, but then I catch myself.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Rather than buying a Turkish-made Tempest I would like to get my hands on one of those Indian-made Premier copies. I think some firm in India bought the moulds and tooling from Webley when they ceased production... Or maybe they just copied them without permission. They are all-steel (though what quality of steel I couldn't say) and look ok, I don't think anyone imports them into the UK though.

Perhaps someone on the BBS with friends in India could get one somehow?

Question Sell it? No way!

I keep thinking of selling it when I see some new shiny thing, but then I catch myself.
    And this from one of the two guys I had to crowbar away from my Hurricane from at the last UBC meet.
    Mind you he did moan about the trigger pull weight.

Jim
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!