Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: webley tempest

Smile

Hi

i you can still pick up fantastic condition tempests if you keep the old eyes peeled...
    here's my latest webley pistol (yup, a tempest), bought last week, boxed and mint for the bargainous price of £45 (posted)
    she's a beauty

>>>tempest<<<

>>>and again<<<

>>>webbo group<<<

Good look with the hunt

regards, john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Did I? I can remember Cheryl having a go of your Nemesis but not shooting the Hurricane. Did it have a scope or red dot?
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi

i you can still pick up fantastic condition tempests if you keep the old eyes peeled...
    here's my latest webley pistol (yup, a tempest), bought last week, boxed and mint for the bargainous price of £45 (posted)
    she's a beauty

>>>tempest<<<

>>>and again<<<

>>>webbo group<<<

Good look with the hunt

regards, john

Lucky blighter! Why do I never come across deals like that?!!
    I paid £75 for one in similar condition and thought I did pretty well.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

I posted the info' on the W.O.C and http://www.airgun-tec.com/index.php/topic,477.0.html too.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

I won't be buying one unless they're UK made, preferably in Birmingham.

Someone mentioned a price of around £200 for Pistol, Pellets, oil, case and possibly a target holder/pellet catcher. Well, in my opinion, that stinks... I bought a Tempest, new, from JSRs just before the VCR act came in, and I paid £96 for it. £96 for a British-made classic Webley pistol. Admittedly, it didn't come with a case, oil, pellets, but it was only £96!!! How can someone justify £200 for a similar pistol, made abroad, with a few cheap extras chucked in?

It looks like the same situation as we had with AGS to me, basically, using the 'Webley' heritage to rip people off. They shipped the tooling to make the Longbow out to Turkey, saying that they were going where manufacturing costs were cheaper, in order to 'remain competitive', then they started selling Turkish-made Longbows for more than the proper Webley firm had been selling pukka Brum-made ones for. How does that work?

It stinks of profiteering and trading on the heritage and name of Webley to me. I certainly won't be buying one unless they are British made, even if they are a 'Limited Edition'.

It stinks of profiteering and trading on the heritage and name of Webley to me. I certainly won't be buying one unless they are British made, even if they are a 'Limited Edition'.
    Damn right.

Hence no doubt the supposed 100 year anniversary tie in, slightly ignoring the fact that the first Webley air pistol wasn't made until 1924. If these are Webleys then I'm the chinese emperor

They can shove it up their limited edition, thanks.
    Morally flawed

At £200 I can't imagine them selling very many. Why don't they just flog it in a cardboard box with no extras for a quarter of the price? Then it might be worth buying, Chinese or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    I won't be buying one unless they're UK made, preferably in Birmingham.
    Someone mentioned a price of around £200 for Pistol, Pellets, oil, case and possibly a target holder/pellet catcher. Well, in my opinion, that stinks... I bought a Tempest, new, from JSRs just before the VCR act came in, and I paid £96 for it. £96 for a British-made classic Webley pistol. Admittedly, it didn't come with a case, oil, pellets, but it was only £96!!! How can someone justify £200 for a similar pistol, made abroad, with a few cheap extras chucked in?

It looks like the same situation as we had with AGS to me, basically, using the 'Webley' heritage to rip people off. They shipped the tooling to make the Longbow out to Turkey, saying that they were going where manufacturing costs were cheaper, in order to 'remain competitive', then they started selling Turkish-made Longbows for more than the proper Webley firm had been selling pukka Brum-made ones for. How does that work?

I think we all know that that ain't going to happen. Probably not ever.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by cinstone View Post
    I think we all know that that ain't going to happen. Probably not ever.

Chris.
    For two hundred quid, they could afford to make these in Britain and still turn a profit. It's only a few years since these pistols were made in Birmingham and were selling for less than half that.

Why are these pistols going to be so expensive when they're going to be made abroad, somewhere where manufacturing is far cheaper than it is here?

I know that it is very very unlikely that Webley will make airguns in the UK again, what has got my back up about this is that it stinks of profiteering. It looks as though they are just greedy and want to make them cheap, sell them expensive, basically ripping off Webley fans and collectors and making a big profit on it while not giving two hoots about the British heritage of the Webley name. I know that's how business works these days, but it shouldn't be the case.

If I wanted a chinese made Webley, I wouldn't buy one of these, I would just wait a bit and buy the inevitable chinese knock-off in the future which will no doubt sell far cheaper than this kit.

Question Webley Wonder Mk2!!

Unusually for me I think were all jumping the gun, a cnc machine will work as well in china as it did in Brum, I look forward to the old style pistol being produced again. How do we compare price when the ones produced before were sold @ a huge loss, part of the reason they went bust. Our economy & the pound has been destroyed by a scottish idiot. Everything we import has rocketed in price. IF quality ok and i can afford* 1 (doubtfull*) i'll buy it. The new Webley company must learn from its mistakes, that break barrel pistol may have been better received had they charged a little more in order to fit a decent trigger,its the 21st century we make nothing anymore sadly.
    ...Mike...(ex machinist engineer, no work in this line anymore )

Last price here was 235 (euro's). I ám curious about the 'new' Tempest though..But I sure hópe its nothing like the turkish typhoon..
    I own 3 tempests, 2x 4.5mm (1x still new in box), 1x .22.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Last price here was 235 (euro's). I ám curious about the 'new' Tempest though..But I sure hópe its nothing like the turkish typhoon..
    I own 3 tempests, 2x 4.5mm (1x still new in box), 1x .22.
    As far as I can tell it will be like the model of old.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Unusually for me I think were all jumping the gun, a cnc machine will work as well in china as it did in Brum, I look forward to the old style pistol being produced again. How do we compare price when the ones produced before were sold @ a huge loss, part of the reason they went bust. Our economy & the pound has been destroyed by a scottish idiot. Everything we import has rocketed in price. IF quality ok and i can afford* 1 (doubtfull*) i'll buy it. The new Webley company must learn from its mistakes, that break barrel pistol may have been better received had they charged a little more in order to fit a decent trigger,its the 21st century we make nothing anymore sadly.
    ...Mike...(ex machinist engineer, no work in this line anymore )
    We do still make some things... But while people happily buy stuff that's made in China, big business sacks all its workers in the west to get stuff made elsewhere, and the government just sits back and lets it happen, we'll make less and less, until one day we'll be completely ####**ered.

I buy British whenever I can afford it and avoid buying chinese wherever possible. I even buy British when the British product isn't as good as a foreign one. The country wouldn't be turning to crap if more people had bought home-grown in the past.

True, CNC machines work just as well in China as elsewhere. Will the materials be as good? Will these 'Webleys' last as long as British ones? How long before the Chinese manufacturers start flogging their own copies of these things? How long after that will the foreign companies that comissioned these products last then? I hate the way that the chinese rip off western companies. Buying chinese webleys seems a lot like rolling over and admitting defeat to me. I won't be buying one. I like the fact that buying British I am keeping one of my fellow countrymen in a job. My job might depend on him one day.

There are companies in China that can knock out a simple air pistol for literally a few quid, by the time they hit us in the west they are costing up about £20-£25 if you shop around, are you seriously saying that a £200 price tag on a chinese Tempest copy is somehow justified? Because I can't see it myself.
    Last edited by Rob M; 08-09-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Question Shoulder Stock

Hi Guys
    Does anyone know where I can get the shoulder stock for the Hurricane?

Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!