Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effective Kill Range

Effective Kill Range

O.k. Guys

What would be the maximum range you would want to take a shot at your prey ( obviously different range for different animals ). i'm just after a rough guide, My rifle is 12ft/lb. ( B.S.A. Hornet ).

Please dont reply if your going to preach to me about killing animals !

Cheers
    ..MY AR15's.

.177 Air Arms S400 Carbine
    .22 CZ452
    AR15 -.22LR Accuracy Speaks/Douglas/Ciener with Bremmer lower
    AR15 - .223 M4
    AR15 - 6.5 Grendel ( Here at last )
    .308 Custom No4 Enfield
    Mossberg 12g Pump action shotgun
    Winchester O/U 12g Shotgun ( Currently looking for a new striker, Mine's broke )
    Beretta 12G 686 Silver Pigeon

the only CORRECT answer there is

the range im accurate to, the range i've practised at and know i can hit half inch groups at that range

I think they may run off if i get that close
    ..MY AR15's.

.177 Air Arms S400 Carbine
    .22 CZ452
    AR15 -.22LR Accuracy Speaks/Douglas/Ciener with Bremmer lower
    AR15 - .223 M4
    AR15 - 6.5 Grendel ( Here at last )
    .308 Custom No4 Enfield
    Mossberg 12g Pump action shotgun
    Winchester O/U 12g Shotgun ( Currently looking for a new striker, Mine's broke )
    Beretta 12G 686 Silver Pigeon

Actaeon Guest
    Originally posted by clayton
    I think they may run off if i get that close
    Whereas they'll just limp off and die in a hole somewhere if you don't.

Originally posted by gaz gun man

the range im accurate to, the range i've practised at and know i can hit half inch groups at that range
    AND, can you judge that range accurately in the field?

What would be the maximum range you would want to take a shot at your prey
    it all depends on if your pellets go BANG on impact
    JASON..
    lots of takedowns

Smudgegs Guest
    Originally posted by Doobin
    AND, can you judge that range accurately in the field?
    Maybe not, but trying, and restricting your shooting to that range is considerably better than shooting to an "estimated" 50yds(random figure for example only!) or whatever someone else claims/suggests...

imho Gaz is quite correct, get used to estimating range on inanimate targets then don't try shots which appear further than you are confident you can hit. It's not an exact science but we can try to make it as humane as possible.

alright clayton,

do what I do....zero at 30m and then put a 10 bull target up at the range, and write 5m, 10m...30m etc on said targets, take a shot at the targets at the marked range, without altering you poit of aim. You then learn your hold over/under at all ranges upto 30m....when you can shoot and get bull(ish!) at any of the ranges, you should be able to tell the ranges, and also hit the target.

OOI, with my gun, at 20m it is 4.5" to the left and 3.75" down.

Nutty_Squirrel Guest
    I have a 30 yard zero and a 24x PA scope which is set in focus at my measured 30 yard target. If i use the full 24 zoom and the target isnt in clear focus but the ground infront is the shot would not be taken (this is on a rabbit) obviously if it is closer i would shoot.
    On pigeons or other birds because of their smaller killzones i restrict it to 25 yards unless the conditions are perfect then it MAY be stretched to 30 but no more.
    Squirrels are usually with 20 yards because my main squirrel tree allows me to get directly underneath and it's no more than 15 yards upwards.

kirky Guest
    just use your 7.62 ,it is bound to be in range with that....oh sorry you don`t have anywhere to shoot yet do you if you`re good we might take a trip to Southport.
    Dave.

John Henry 1 Guest
    Is he maybe refering to the optimum killing power of his gun, it's no use being deadly accurate at 70yds (if that's possible with standard 12ftlbs) if there isn't enough power left to kill cleanly.
    cheers
    John R

Old-gun Guest
    air guns are OK up to about 30 yards for a good average..
    simple answer

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Assuming the accuracy is there, at 12 FP I limit myself to 35 yards .22, 45 yards in .177

HTH - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

This thread is 'Effective killing range', true you say that half of it is the marksmens skill and the other half is the power to kill the rabbit. I've heard that 4ft lbs will cleanly kill, and at 80 yards the power maintains 4.29ft lbs using the EV2. However I wouldn't ever think of shooting at this range but the title says The effective killing range of game, therefore my answer is at what range your gun maintains 4ft lbs of power.

The maximum range I hunt to is 55yards, but this is using highly effective rangefinding scopes to precisely click to these values.

But the title contridicts what you have said in the thread, I believe a non-ft shooter/non-seasoned hunter should stick to 45yds MAX in .177

Actaeon Guest
    I think everyone is answering the question posed in the thread rather than the question implied by the title of the thread and that is :
    What would be the maximum range you would want to take a shot at your prey
    The answer to that question will be different for each individual shooter, but the overall answer should always be the same -
    the range im accurate to, the range i've practised at and know i can hit at that range