Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver plated Webley air pistol

Silver plated Webley air pistol

I was reading an old AGW magazine a few weeks ago that contained an article about an original 1920's factory silver plated and engraved Webley MK2 Target pistol with mother of pearl grips...has anyone ever seen one?

I've seen "retro" nickel plated ones & one so highly polished that it looked plated...there used to be an antique shop in Stratford that had a healthy stock of these & engraved versions...all priced for the tourists...

Apprently the yanks couldn't get enough of them.. but i've never seen a real factory plated one myself...

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    I've seen "retro" nickel plated ones & one so highly polished that it looked plated...there used to be an antique shop in Stratford that had a healthy stock of these & engraved versions...all priced for the tourists...

Apprently the yanks couldn't get enough of them.. but i've never seen a real factory plated one myself...
    Yes I saw a few of those yukky retro plated/engraved jobs in the nineties

I had a factory plated and engraved webley back in the 90s with target back sight etc, sold when I stopped collecting a few years ago , it had black webley grips though not mother of pearl

Quote Originally Posted by paulsfrost View Post
    I had a factory plated and engraved webley back in the 90s with target back sight etc, sold when I stopped collecting a few years ago , it had black webley grips though not mother of pearl
    Paul, was it a twenties/thirties pistol?

Here's a nickel plated Senior, which to the best of my knowledge is a factory plated model.
    http://mynetimages.com/cfe3abe3.jpg
    http://mynetimages.com/90e6e11e.jpg

Here's an engraved Senior:
    http://mynetimages.com/57734869.jpg
    http://mynetimages.com/6b714c0d.jpg

This engraved Senior was a very early effort by Don, as it's engraved through the blue, which he did to very few as it's much more time consuming.
    It is also not engraved as heavily as later reblued examples.

the shop in stratford is still there, i do all the pistols for don blocksidge, minus the engraving off course, they are not that expensive when you consider the work and time that goes in them.

Hi David,

How would one tell if it's...original.?

Hi David,

How would one tell if it's...original.?
    It is extremely difficult to tell, but there are certain characteristics to look out for, such as the fitting of component parts which need to be modified before plating, and the numbering of such parts, plus the polishing needed to prepare the gun can dull the rolled impressions, whereas the factory produced model should be crisp and clear.
    It's difficult to explain, but one gets the feel about these things.
    Mine has been seen by several collectors who know a lot more about these things than I do, and the general consensus is that it's a factory produced model, plus, the collector who originally owned it, and the engraved Senior, would not knowingly have bought an after market plated model, and he knew his guns.
    I also have a plated Junior, acquired from a different source, which I believe to be a Webley plated gun.
    I did knowingly buy an after market plated Senior, long since sold on, and the difference is obvious if the two are side by side.
    The funny thing is, that in spite of being told repeatedly the gun he was buying was an after market plated model, and the price reflected this, I know for a fact the buyer spent the next few months trying to get other collectors and dealers to authenticate it as an original Webley produced item.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

Scottarms

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    It is extremely difficult to tell, but there are certain characteristics to look out for, such as the fitting of component parts which need to be modified before plating, and the numbering of such parts, plus the polishing needed to prepare the gun can dull the rolled impressions, whereas the factory produced model should be crisp and clear.
    It's difficult to explain, but one gets the feel about these things.
    Mine has been seen by several collectors who know a lot more about these things than I do, and the general consensus is that it's a factory produced model, plus, the collector who originally owned it, and the engraved Senior, would not knowingly have bought an after market plated model, and he knew his guns.
    I also have a plated Junior, acquired from a different source, which I believe to be a Webley plated gun.
    I did knowingly buy an after market plated Senior, long since sold on, and the difference is obvious if the two are side by side.
    The funny thing is, that in spite of being told repeatedly the gun he was buying was an after market plated model, and the price reflected this, I know for a fact the buyer spent the next few months trying to get other collectors and dealers to authenticate it as an original Webley produced item.
    Scottarms auction house had a brass plated Webley (senior?) in their last sale. Acording to the blurb in the catalogue it was originally a factory silver plated example, the silver having been worn off/removed, leaving the brass under-plating. Would it even be possible for plating to wear out like that? I would have thought that with the thicknesses of material involved any wear would take off both platings. Is it possible to plate onto an already plated surface with another type of metal? I can't remember what price the pistol went for as I wasn't bidding on it.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Thanks David,

That sounds very reasonable...I still wouldn't like to try tell the difference.. the retro plated ones are "pretty" though obviously dont have the historical or monetary value of the original Webley (factory) ones....

Prey tell Mr.Spartan...how much is that shop charging for the "tourist copies" these days...I seem to remember pistols valued quite...(cough)..highly...

I would agree though that the great "Don's" work certainly add's value....to the right gun....but it would be sacralidge to engrave a "minter"...wouldn't it..?

To my knowledge dons pistols sell for about £275 up to £450 depending on the amount off engraving and type off engraving. It is very rare we do mint condition pistols, as you say it would be sacralidge,

All the pistols are fully restored using genuine webley parts, and are as good as new, and usually come in a hardwood presentation case, and walnut chequred grips

Don did say he hadn't engraved many mint Webley air pistols thrugh the blue, and could only vaguely remember doing mine for the collector it came from.
    I've seen quite a few of Don's engraved Webley air pistols over the past few years, and although there is no doubt about the skill required to do such work, they are not for me.
    Don did tell me he would engrave anything to the customers specification, but all the Webley air pistols I've seen, either Senior or Mk.1, have been heavily engraved over most available surface and then re-blued, and have been fitted with walnut grips.
    I haven't seen any offered for less than £400.
    I did ask Don if I could buy a set of his walnut grips, but he told me that because of the time it takes to make them, he couldn't make a pair and sell them for a realistic price, a point of view I totally accept.
    The only Webley air pistols sold by Webley already engraved, were some Juniors with slight blow faults on the breech blocks, which weren't bad enough to scrap, but to disguise these faults, engraving was done to disguise them.
    Unfortunately, I don't have one of these in my collection, but have seen several examples.

my example was a junior with the engraving done to hide the fault, finished off in a very nice nickle or chrome finish, i had it in the antique shop for sale when i packed up collecting, a couple of people on here had seen it there for sale years ago

I have a Don Blocksidge engraved and plated Junior bought at auction, the only thing that lets it down is the fact that the wooden grips are not chequered so I have put the original black grips on. Any idea how could I contact the great man to ask him to chequer his wooden grips for me?
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .