Thread: Original Model 23

Original Model 23

I've just bought an Original Model 23. It's in fairly good condition; I've got the surface rust off with Ballistol and 0000 wire wool, cleaned up the trigger mechanism, lubed the spring through the cocking slot and cleaned the barrel thoroughly. It shoots smoothly and it's doing half inch groups at six metres with Gecos, which I'm impressed with.

I have some questions.

How does one remove the cylinder end cap? It seems to be fixed in place. I don't really need to get inside it at the moment as the lubrication I've applied seems fine, but it'd be nice to know how to get in.

I can't find a serial number, but I have found what appears to be a date. It's marked 09 78 towards the rear left side of the cylinder. For how long were these rifles made?

It's grouping well, but shots are falling about 3cm to the right at six metres. I guessed that tapping the rear sight dovetail across would do the trick, but it won't move. Nor will the front sight. Also, as you can see in this photo, the dovetail itself is centred in it's notch, but the rearsight housing is fixed to the dovetail well over to the right. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance gentlemen

Your's made in September of 1978.

Regards, Bart
    on every action comes a reaction

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Original 23

Im just guessing here but as the cap appears to be over the cylinder then it will probably be screwed on. Again just guessing, the rear sight should tap over BUT first check that the foresight is not on a dovetail to adjust. Whenever I get an old gun with dovetails, I squirt a bit off plusgas or wd40 on the dovetails and then some machine oil and leave for a few days. Remember this---that gun may never have had the sights adjusted in its lifetime!
    Im sure someone will come along and give you the right answer soon and it is probably worth waiting before you go mad with a hammer and punch.

Dovetail looks off centre in its slot in the photo, dribble a kettle full of boiling water over it, then tap it while its hot.

Thanks everyone.

gggr, I've oiled as you suggest. The foresight is on a dovetail too, but is equally immoveable.

The rear dovetail is actually centred, it's just that the rear sight unit is fixed to the dovetail (the "male" part) over to one side. I'm going to have a go at warming it as magicesperanto suggests then tapping it over.

Any more information on the Model 23 in general would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

The cap is just a press fit, it slides over the cylinder and shouldn't be a problem to remove, just pull it of, you might have to wiggle it though.
    The front and rear sight are indeed dovetail fitted, you need to tap it of, with some wood so you don't damage it, I did it once with mine (although a Diana), and it was a tight fit, but eventually I got it to move.

Regards,

Bart
    on every action comes a reaction

Thanks b@rt. I'll give it a go.