Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Townie Enemy

Angry The Townie Enemy

I keep reading that it’s the politicians that are the threat to shooting and hunting in the country but its not, it’s the ignorant townies that need to be educated. When I explained that I was tired at work due to rising at 4am to go shooting I was virtually called a nazi murdering b*****d by a female colleague. I was told I should leave those pretty birds (woodies) alone as she like to see them when she drove through the country and why did I shoot rabbits as they did no harm to anyone. I tried to explain to her the amount of damage created by these cute little creatures but her mind was closed to the facts and no matter how well explained it was wrong. The colleague in question is not an anti but she has no idea of the problems faced by people outside the city limits and its her vote and the thousands of voters like her that will kill of country pastimes.

Rant over Townie Tyke
    Last edited by tyke; 08-09-2004 at 08:58 AM.
    Steve Topp Brain-finger, Brain-finger, Finger- brain DOOH
    REDFEARNS FTC
    Air Arms Owners Club

draftsmann Guest
    I hope you politely invited her to perform an act of self-intromission?

Adrian

self-intromission
    Give us a chance mate, I just got up you know.
    REDFEARNS FTC
    Air Arms Owners Club

Nice one Adrian.
    Aren’t online dictionaries wonderful things
    REDFEARNS FTC
    Air Arms Owners Club

Originally posted by draftsmann
    I hope you politely invited her to perform an act of self-intromission?

Adrian
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

It's a sad fact of life your average 'townie' is more worried about having bread on the table (read money) than the 'country' way of life. In fact, given that young people are so poorly educated these days, it wouldn't surprise me to find they were unaware it existed.

If people (read 'townies') were educated to the fact that rabbits cost them money, the prospect of a 'hunting' ban may not be such a discussion point.

The (absolutely) galling aspect about this 'ban' stuff for me is that just about everyone I know is a meat eater. Yet any talk about 'killing' animals is on a social par with selling your kiddies into child slavery.

To be good, one must do good.

I live in Leeds the fastest growing city in England but still I am only 30 minutes away from the Vale of York. It seems to me a great pity that more of my fellow and fellowess,s don’t try to understand what is actually going on in the countryside which as I say is only a short drive away.
    Creatures with big eyes have them to hunt with and not to make them look cute but try telling that to a concrete bound slave.
    REDFEARNS FTC
    Air Arms Owners Club

sneaky beaky Guest
    this may spark a few replys?... but i have been shooting for quite a few years and have had plenty of stick for it... the only reply i give is... id rather go out and fill my plate with something that had tasted freedom, than something grown in a box or processing plant... chicken dosen't grow in a plati-pac... (have you ever seen how a chicken/meat plant processes )

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk but originally a Brummie
    Originally posted by Baldie
    selling your kiddies into child slavery.

Do you mean to say this is frowned upon where you live Baldie Seems ok to me and the kids didn't seem to mind either

But then again their mother is a bit on the strict side,

Seriously though for a moment (clears throat - I really must cut down) I live in the "country" and have for most of my life but 90% of the people I speak to every day frown on the idea of shooting fluffy animals - even those who pay huge wads of dosh to go on driven pheasant shoots

Where's the sense in that?

AndyB

sneaky beaky Guest
    90% of the people I speak to every day frown on the idea of shooting fluffy animals - even those who pay huge wads of dosh to go on driven pheasant shoots

Where's the sense in that?

very true, i think we all like to accosiate the countryside with images of green fields, stretches of woodland, rabbits playing and the odd phesant call (aw... pretty) but its the farmers of the land that have to protect from crop damage, pest infestation and disease spreading... pests have to be controlled, rats started a plague, rabbits neary ate australia and the british songbird is on decline from magpieus, magpieus. did you ever see the film where rabbits got into contact with radio-active material and started eating humans... where would we be then (just waiting for the stick)
    give us our sport, our profession, and our privacy.

(just my v.h.o)
    Last edited by sneaky beaky; 08-09-2004 at 01:50 PM.

you can't educate sheep (i know iv'e tried)
    and as a "country person" ( i was brought up in farming) I have given up, we are a minority and as a result politicaly speaking unimportant!
    maybe a total ban on all hunting shooting and fishing for 5 years would be a good thing ......(not)..... because after all the problems it would create they would be begging us all to come and sort out all the problems hahahaha

but seriously
    i just don't make a big thing out of "how many bunnies iv'e shot"
    any more
    mind you tv is helping a little with programs like that hugh fearnly
    whiting whatsit does (brilliant program)
    ...... Adapt....To......Survive.....

dcy Guest
    Hi guys....i live in a town and i dont subscribe to the town/countryside divide....most of my hunting mates also live in towns......the biggest divide is social ...like it or not.....the use of animals in every way is under threat......we need to stand up together and be counted, whether we agree on a certain thing or not, its sometimes better to protect our rights as a whole rather than be fragmented off..

sneaky beaky Guest
    the funny thing is (its not so funny) that there are people out there who would rip off an arm to stop countryside pursuits (shooting, long-dogs ect) that have been practiced for hundreds of years... but people starve to death on the street every day (in towns/citys stragely)...

Zanx Guest
    I think any reaction from townies (of which I am one) with regards to the killing of fluffies is purely down to a dose of guilt. Most large towns are concrete jungles, the only other life is other people, there isn't even any death unless you count RTA's, there's just nothingness, no life, no death, no appreciation of how nature works. Our conciences have been dulled by distancing ourselves from the repurcussions of our acts, our work and it's effect on someone further down the line, and as has been said, those who eat meat might not do so if they removed the distance between the Big Mac and the abbatoir. When you suddenyly confron a townie with the notion that in order to eat a burger, something has to die, they get a little nervous, like it's not for real. Personally I'd keep quiet about any bunny executions unless you have a very good retort ready to fire back.

jonathanjones Guest
    many many a farmer has been killed or ruined by rabbits and other vermin....

cheers
    Jonathan