Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haenal Mk V?

Smile Haenal Mk V?

Hi everyone, does anyone know ANYTHING about the Haenal Mk V with the rotary magazine mounted horizontally on the breech?, or know where I can find any info about them at all.
    Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bazwong.
    Just too many guns! NO, I was only kidding!

A very desirable collectable! I saw one at an auction a couple of years ago and I think it went for more than £400. The Haenel V repeater was a standard pre-WW2 model V with the addition of what John Walter called a "Cox-type pan magazine". The Haenel V, made from about 1925, rifled in both calibres, was basically a longer stocked version of the model IV, which was a direct copy of a BSA Lincoln Jeffries pattern underlever. Here's an advert taken from a 1930s Haenel catalogue.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Haenal help.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    A very desirable collectable! I saw one at an auction a couple of years ago and I think it went for more than £400. The Haenel V repeater was a standard pre-WW2 model V with the addition of what John Walter called a "Cox-type pan magazine". The Haenel V, made from about 1925, rifled in both calibres, was basically a longer stocked version of the model IV, which was a direct copy of a BSA Lincoln Jeffries pattern underlever. Here's an advert taken from a 1930s Haenel catalogue.
    Thanks Garvin,
    can you remember which auction you went to, and which JW book you saw that info in, I have 2 of his books, but could not find any reference to the Haenal Mk V in them.
    Thanks again
    Bazwong.
    P.S. you have P.M.

Quote Originally Posted by bazwong View Post
    Hi everyone, does anyone know ANYTHING about the Haenal Mk V with the rotary magazine mounted horizontally on the breech?, or know where I can find any info about them at all.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bazwong.
    Hi Mr Bazwong

There was a good article about these in Airgunner in about 1990, if I get chance later I'll dig it out and scan it for you.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Mr Bazwong

There was a good article about these in Airgunner in about 1990, if I get chance later I'll dig it out and scan it for you.

All the best Mick
    Hi Mick, I would be SO grateful if you could do that for me.
    Thanks again
    Barry.

Thanks Garvin,
    can you remember which auction you went to, and which JW book you saw that info in, I have 2 of his books, but could not find any reference to the Haenal Mk V in them.
    Thanks again
    Bazwong.
    P.S. you have P.M.
    Barry the auction was Wallis and Wallis, I think in 2007. I vaguely remember it was part of a special collection that was being sold in the afternoon, separate from the main sale. It could have been a model V Junior repeater or the larger mod V repeater.

The third edition of John Walter's Airgun Book has two pages under H devoted to pre-1945 Haenels. Shame he didn't do the same for some other brands!

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Here are a couple of photographs of the Haenel Repeating Mechanism. I personably would love one of these in my collection, and I cannot understand why BSA did not produce something similar for their pre-war underlever range. Haenel effectively copied the BSA, but then went on to produce this extraordinary repeating magazine arrangement which sets them apart from most of the other guns available at the time.

Maybe one day I will find one, but for now have to satisfy myself with odd articles and photos such as the ones here.. Enjoy and marvel at german ingenuity at its best

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...hanism2j-1.jpg

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...gmechanism.jpg

All the Best

Lakey

Hi Mick, I would be SO grateful if you could do that for me.
    Thanks again
    Barry.
    Hi Barry

You have Email

My mistake, the article was in Airgunner of March 1987.

All the best Mick

Hi Barry

You have Email

My mistake, the article was in Airgunner of March 1987.

All the best Mick
    Any chance of dropping me the article as well please Mick?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Any chance of dropping me the article as well please Mick?
    Hi Paul

You too have mail.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    I personably would love one of these in my collection, and I cannot understand why BSA did not produce something similar for their pre-war underlever range. Haenel effectively copied the BSA, but then went on to produce this extraordinary repeating magazine arrangement which sets them apart from most of the other guns available at the time.

All the Best

Lakey
    Ah Ha Lakey

But do you remember the chap in Airgunworld many moons ago who fitted a similar mechanism to his Airsporter?

I always thought fitting one to a MK1 or MK2 Airsporter would have been interesting as the automatic loading tap would have indexed the drum and loaded the pellet and a spring could have been used to close the tap as the underlever was returned.

Semi auto springer new for 1947.

Ah well

All the best Mick
    Last edited by T 20; 09-09-2009 at 07:50 AM.

Hi Paul

You too have mail.

All the best Mick
    You're a gent, Mick
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

[QUOTE=bazwong;3776097]Hi everyone, does anyone know ANYTHING about the Haenal Mk V with the rotary magazine mounted horizontally on the breech?, or know where I can find any info about them at all.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bazwong.[/QUOTE

Big thank you to Danny for the adverts and info, & to Mick for taking the time to root out the March 1987 airgunner magazine, and last but by no means least, to Lakey for the pics of the breech. (Just where did you find those photo`s)

Thanks again guys
    ATB
    Barry

Barry,

Hi Barry, I started a thread on the American Vintage Airgun Site and got a few replies together with a wonderful set a photos of the Haenel V repeater showing a step by step guide to how the mechanism works. It is well worth a look, or maybe some kind person could post a link on this thread?

All the best

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Barry,

Hi Barry, I started a thread on the American Vintage Airgun Site and got a few replies together with a wonderful set a photos of the Haenel V repeater showing a step by step guide to how the mechanism works. It is well worth a look, or maybe some kind person could post a link on this thread?

All the best

Lakey

http://www.network54.com/Forum/40594...ting+Mechanism

There you go Lakey

All the best Mick