Thread: Relum Jelly Telly ?

Relum Jelly Telly ?

ive noticed a few of these rifles have been up for sale on bbs recently, for those of you who are in the know, is the rifle a jelly or telly, also they are known as a relum, how old would this rifle be and would it be before relum (Muller) started to import into the country.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    These guns are in fact all made by FEG Budapest, the big Hungarian arms company. They were manufactured in their tens of thousands and exported to make hard cash for the communist state of that time. Relum was just the importer. Other companies imported to other countries (Grothaus in Holland for e.g.). The Jelly/Telly thing comes from a small metal name plate borne by some of them, which atcually says Telly, but is generally referred to as a Jelly (perhaps because of their debatable quality?). In fact they are good basic breakbarrels and there was also an underlever the famous, and perhaps less efficient Tornado. There was a whole range of different guns, from the 1960s until the very early 80s? All characterised by the use of double concentric springs and no spring guide. A piece of airgun history.

Relum no longer imports them, though one, the LG527 is apprently still made.

Lg522

Hi I have one of these guns it's a LG 522 in .22 format, all in all it is one of the best air rifles I have ever shot, great garden gun just a shame they don't make them anymore, regards Mick.
    mickmick
    fas est ab hoste doceri

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    The Jelly/Telly thing comes from a small metal name plate borne by some of them, which actually says Telly, but is generally referred to as a Jelly.
    Yep, as Oliver says, the name came from the 10p piece sized medallion mounted to the right hand side of the stock which said 'Telly'. But as the font style used for the pressing of said medallions was very Latin-esque, the letter 'T' had/has a very curly tail which to the untutored, made it look like a capital letter 'J', hence the Eastern European word/name Telly became read as Jelly in the generic West, which as a nick-name, has stuck . Hope this helps. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    ive noticed a few of these rifles have been up for sale on bbs recently,
    Perhaps someone is replacing a fence.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Perhaps someone is replacing a fence.

ATB
    Ian
    ... You am de bad man ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Bi-lingual too Gareth...is there no end...

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I remember the wishing page in Marshall Ward's catalogue usually consisted of the following:-
    Diana G80,
    Webley Hawk with both barrels,
    BSA Meteor/Mercury
    Relum Telly,
    Baikal single 12b, and
    Baikal double 12b.
    The hours I spent drooling over those before I learned about the ligerie section..
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    The hours I spent drooling over those before I learned about the lingerie section .
    ... Nice one oh kindred spirit (that made me belly laugh so much that I woke the kids up ). Ha ha. Atb: G.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    before I learned about the ligerie section..

There was a lingere section??????

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Relum

For people who didnt like Relums? Yep ---been there. My mates mum used to get the catalogue and my mate and I would drool over the guns and the models in the undies. Maybe this explains a lot about the people in this section?

DM80 Guest
    i have a few relums they make great airguns when tuned and are always accurate their barrels are very good' they are also quite strong guns and very well made much better than the chinese and turkish rubbish thats around today if anyone has any relums lying around they dont want i will have them no probs

dave.

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    i have a few relums they make great airguns when tuned and are always accurate their barrels are very good.
    Yes indeed ... Who remembers Sean Hills range of highly sought after 'Muler' brand barrels that were available about ten years ago ??? Any mirror-writing Einstein's out there fancy having a guess at what donor rifles they came off ...

Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    i have a few relums they make great airguns when tuned and are always accurate their barrels are very good' they are also quite strong guns and very well made much better than the chinese and turkish rubbish thats around today if anyone has any relums lying around they dont want i will have them no probs

dave.

Relum Ronnie speaks! Free Relums? This lad has a heart of gold or some runner beans that needs stakes.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Relum

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Relum Ronnie speaks! Free Relums? This lad has a heart of gold or some runner beans that needs stakes.

ATB
    Ian
    Hi Ian
    Your just getting worse. But making me laugh
    Bernie