Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My friend. Our friend "Mad" Mark Brewster.

My friend. Our friend "Mad" Mark Brewster.

I have sat for some time, reading Nige's thread and all of the replies on it.
    There are many kind words and expressions of shock and sorrow, I could so easily add my thoughts, but I hope you will understand my reasons for wanting to write a thread of my own.

------:

It's a funny thing this BBS.

How you can get to know someone, really rather well, despite never having seen them face to face, never having shook their hand...

Many very good friendships have been made on this site over the years, as anyone who has been a member for a while will testify.

Sometimes that 'distant friendship' goes a step further, beyond PM's, text messages and 'phone calls.

People meet up and all those 'little extras' become apparent, you know the sort of thing...? A hint of sarcasm with a wry smile to help the humour across.
    Body language, tone of voice, the speed of rapier-like wit; things that cannot be perceived over an internet connection.

It is these such meetings that strengthen and solidify an already trustworthy friendship. Often, just that little chat, either one to one, or as a group at a shooting competition or a club visit. Those few minutes or couple of hours will be all that is needed to confirm what you already knew about a person you have come to "know" as a friend.

I speak on behalf of both myself and Gary (Grayling) from here on in, as most of the content involved both of us on any given occasion.

I was at North Wales Shooting School with Gary a few years ago now. There had been arrangements for several BBS members from Merseyside, Cheshire and North Wales to get together and enjoy a few hours on the air rifle range.

We had "known" Mad Mark for some time (years, I suppose) as the "Fruitloop from Flint". Mark wrote some of the funniest, bizarre, risque, threads ever to be seen on here. His replies would often be "straight as a die, no bullsh.." opinions on the subjects, or they'd be simply hilarious. Mark was also known for tongue-in-cheek threads which regularly sailed close to the wind...

As a result of some of his posts, Mark was often sat on the BBS naughty step for a week or three, or in with the Headmaster for a virtual spanking, which, secretly, I am sure he actually enjoyed.

Anyway, there we were, Queensferry, North Wales, plinking away happily when in rolls Maddicvs Markvs, sat in his (self-named) Spaz-chariot (his wheelchair).

Handshakes all round, quite civil and respectable. For me there was a strange atmosphere as a number of "friends" met for the first time.

There was a slight awkwardness, we all knew each other, but this was odd.

Then Mark started, the banter was fast and furious and within a couple of hours that passed like minutes, we knew who we knew and it was one of those moments that I will certainly remember for the rest of my days.

Mark thought it would be funny to post a photo on the BBS from that day, he was delicately posed sitting wearing only (his now infamous "Spangly Pants or Lunar Knickers") sequined hot-pants...
    His wheelchair was on bricks and was all but a WHEEL chair, because as Mark told it, ".....those bloody Scousers....."

The funny thing is... everyone else thought it was funny too. Even these bloody Scousers!

Over the next couple of years, we would all meet again on many different occasions in many different places.

Mark did things for people, he was a genius with airguns, repairing and replacing things, but, he did it out of the kindness and generosity in his heart, not for profit.

You know, for a man who came so close to dying in a motorcyle accident, Mark was a true inspiration and trust me, I do not use that term loosely.

Mark lost his leg just below his hip, he had a brain injury which affected his sight (and caused those howlers of typing errors) often, someone would have a pop at him because he would type in upper case. HA! how small did they feel when they found out why...

Mark could have wallowed in self pity. He could have taken to downing a few litres of Super strong cider every day and sat in his own piss.

But not our Mark. He had plans, plans that the inconvenience of losing a leg was not going to stop.

As most of you will know, Mark reached for the stars, and as might be expected of one with so much tenacious determination, he successfully gained his Microlight Private Pilot's Licence last year. An achievement some of us more "able bodied" could only dream of.

Mark was the epitome of independence. His DIY projects would put a good builder to shame.

I have cried several times today and I will again in the coming days and weeks but there are moments when I think of Mark and talk about him and it is impossible not to smile.

This terrible event has brought home a few important things to me.

I just hope from this day on, I can change my sometimes selfish ways and aim as high, and score as much as my friend, our friend, Mark Brewster.

Mark, you have left behind many friends and a few too many broken hearts. So many people that held you in the highest esteem. Myself and so many others will miss all that you were and all that you did.

Rest in Peace my friend.

Cliff
    Last edited by Clifftop; 13-09-2009 at 10:09 AM.
    Non Nobis Solum Sed Toti Mundo Nati.

Co-founder of "Treats4BritishTroops"

Airbrush Guest

Andy.

Robbo73 is offline I'm what Willis is talking about
    an amazing and suitably apt Epitaph Cliff

my thoughts are with you, all of his friends and his family!
    Scott 3LJ

Treasurer of CSSC-TSA (Merseyside)

You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that - Stewie Griffin

Likes to tickle ducks for fun

Nice tribute,

Mark

Nice one Cliff.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons"

I never knew mark in real life, or over the phone for that matter, and thats my loss, but I did converse via the odd thread and I think we PM'd once.

My one vivid memory is after reading all his exploits and adventures, seeing a thread up with some pics of him and some work he had been doing at home, and of he and his microlight and I had to do a double take, I was utterly gob smacked that this behemoth of a man was stuck in a wheelchair.
    I hadn't a clue and wouldn't have guessed in a million years.
    As someone else who is disabled but with even more limited mobility I found mark and inspiration as I'm sure many others both disabled and able bodied did and still do.
    I'm sure marks memory will live on in many different ways, but for me I can't hear or see a microlight without seeing that picture of him next to his with a beaming grin on his face.
    Professional cripple,currently dis-armed

Guest Guest
    Beautiful, Cliff, just beautiful!

I live immediately under the outer reach of Formby Microlight Club, Mark has flown overhead many times!

I will still look up at every craft flying over, all the sadder to know it will not be my friend!

And now I am crying again!

Dave

Tears in my eyes when I read that

http://veteransinaction.org.uk My favourite Military Charity

http://nevsniggles.com Handyman Services

Speechless, well said Cliff.
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Although I posted on the other thread I would also like to post the following.

I thank Mark for the generosity he showed to the Rivi Charity over the last few years. It was not uncommon for Mark to sell an item and ask the buyer to send the cash to myself for the Charity. Mark always wanted this to be kept quiet, with only the few people involved knowing.

This I feel was a measure of the man.

There was far more to Mark than the persona put across on the BBS.

God Bless Mark. May you have found peace.

Ray.

Paul. is offline Drinks rum like a Fella.....
    Spot on Cliff.
    Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves.

https://i.imgflip.com/16hkwb.jpg

lovely sentiment

i could cry right now to be honest. But , I can hear Mark saying " whats up numnuts"......

What was said by Cliff was so on the money....you do get to know people on here, whether you have met them or not.

I am very happy and priveliged that i had the oppotunity to meet Mark, share plenty of banter, some fun and when i think back to all he has achieved makes me very proud and at the same time humbled.

Rest in Peace brother,

Gary
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

amen to that Cliff
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviewcentre
    The mill dot is very good, however I don't use it much as I shoot from a Landrover, so there is not much time for aiming.

Thank you Cliff.

Neil and Pauline.
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Nice one, Cliff.

Well said, mate.